corallorhiza striata and more from nelson swamp

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't either. I have yet to find an orchid habitat without mosquitoes. We have calcareous fens here and there are lots of mosquitoes. Maybe it's just the location and not the habitat.

:wink: Maybe NY is too far south for mosquitoes.

:wink: Maybe NY is too far south for mosquitoes.

hah! I can safely verify that that is definitely not the case! whatever it is, at least in ny the fen environment usually has extremely few mosquitos. wherever I've seen showy ladyslippers, or cedar fens that have yellows and other things though you might see a mosquito there are darned few of them. same goes for true bog settings where there might be a handful of fairly tame mosquitos but they aren't that bad. on the other hand, acidic hickory/red maple types of swamps plus plain old standard wetland swamps here tend to have tons of very hostile mosquitos. cicero swamp east of syracuse is an acidic hick/red swamp and there are bomber bugs that carry equine encephalitis. I would like to know what the component is that deters them, maybe it would make a good natural repellent!
... I'm remembering that the parkers/tug hill fen area does have lots of mosquitos and deerflies, but that fen is surrounded by acidic wetland. so, not always the case. ... again on the other hand, I've been to a patterned fen in southeastern ontario, quite large and there were very few mosquitos or things like that there. there were also lots of other wetlands around that area but few biting bugs

Last edited:
Very interesting. In Manitoba, wet = mosquitoes. Doesn't matter what the habitat is. Don't forget about West Nile too!

Very interesting. In Manitoba, wet = mosquitoes. Doesn't matter what the habitat is. Don't forget about West Nile too!

life is too short to worry about all the diseases you could get from flying and jumping bugs... not that that means I want a single one of them biting me :fight: I'm glad that some of our local mosquitos are wimpy enough that something keeps them away! ;)

You definitely post some of (if not definitely) my favorite in situ native orchid photos! :) keep 'em coming

Where are you located? Maybe you can come w/ us next year on wild orchid hunts. Hopefully I will have some in NYC! :D

that would be wonderful! Only problem is that I am half a country away in Minnesota :( Thankfully we have many of the same native orchids, here :) If you're ever out this way, drop me a private message :poke: and I shall do the same with regards to NY!

Latest posts

Back