Cochlopetalum green pod, time to harvest ?.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cochlopetalum

Im in need of some advice on harvest time for Cochlopetalum hybrid pods.

I pollinated my Sandy's Prime Lime 12.03.12.

Any advice on time to mature a cochlo pod would be of great help.

What's the other half of Sandy's Prime?

I don't make hybrids, but species cochlos are somewhat intermediate on the capsule time frame for Paphs. I think in the 8 month range, but I can look up some records if you give me some info on the other half of this cross.

Sandy's Prime Lime = primulinum x liemianum. I crossed it with a Salvador Dali.

I have some Avalon Mist x Pinocchio that selfpollinate, they mature a capsule i a short time, and produce a lot of seeds. I have no rekord of time, but I think less than 6 months, so I worry a bit.

I found pod maturity times vary with the clone of the plant and with the growing conditions the plant is growing in. I have found that different clones of the same species in my growing conditions can vary as much as 3 months on pod maturity, between the 2 clones. It is not possible to accurately know the ideal green pod harvest time from a table or some other grower's advice. Pollinate your flower, let the seed pod develop to full maturity. Make notes specific for that plant. Note when the capsule dehists. (turns brown & splits) Your plant will consistently follow that pattern as long as there are no big changes in your growing conditions. Now the second time you use that particular plant, you know exactly how long it will take to an ideal green pod capsule size.

Sorry there is no easy answer, you could use someone's estimates, but if you are serious about breeding, your chances of success greatly improve if you know each breeding clone's individual maturity rate in your conditions.

For myself, I found a seed lab that is willing to take fully mature dry seed. That way the first pod or 2 from an individual plant don't go to waste. I know you are in Sweden, for those in the USA http://www.rockbridgelaboratoryservices.com/Products & Services.htm

Rockbridge, near Columbus, OH prefers to work with small quantities of pods, 5 or less at a time. From hobby growers. Dawn does not have the schedule flexibility to sit down and flask 100 seed pods in a day. Rockbridge is a one woman operation, so she likes to keep her flasking duties to less than half a day at a time. Her day job occasionally requires her to travel, give her at least a week to respond the first time you contact her.

Thank you,

I guess I will be paying the extra fee to get dry seeds sown, then.

Back