Ciliolare

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I got this ciliolare from Matt Gore during his moving sale last summer.

This is a good sized flower, on par with a good callosum.

Nice ciliolare Rick. Mine is in low bud at the moment if you're interested we could do a F1 cross.

It's still a single growth plant, and I've backed down on pushing barbata for breeding at a young age. But I'd be happy to send you pollen if you want to give it a shot with your plant.

It's still a single growth plant, and I've backed down on pushing barbata for breeding at a young age. But I'd be happy to send you pollen if you want to give it a shot with your plant.
That's what I was kinda of thinking Rick. Mine is a month or more out from opening and yours maybe got by then. Mine is two growth. How tall is your flower stem?

That's what I was kinda of thinking Rick. Mine is a month or more out from opening and yours maybe got by then. Mine is two growth. How tall is your flower stem?

Without running out to the GH I guestimate 8-10 inches.

This flowering hasn't been very fast compared to the multis on the other side of the GH. I'd estimate that I first saw the bract about 2 months ago.

Very nice ... we don't see this one posted a lot,
I hear it is a difficult species.
well done.

I've barely had this one a year, and so far it's holding its own. The barbata group in general is more difficult for me compared to the multis. I have a "sweet spot" in the GH for this group that is darker, cooler, and more consistently humid that seems to get better results than in the past. Given that species like sukhakulii and callosum are purported to be "easy" barbata (that until recently) have done poorly for me too, I keep finding conditions more like my small indoor growing space that have very even intermediate temps, low light, and constantly high (70 - 80%) humidity. Bark mixes with some form of moss supplementation and frequent repotting seem to work best for me for this group. In the GH the "sweet spot" is on the west side of the GH, heavily shaded by large pots of other orchid species, and directly in the airflow of the wet pad.

Back