Chysis bractescens v.coerulea 'Hermosa Dawn' CHM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
I got this division a few years back from Todd Zimmerman who had gotten the original award on the only coerulean form of the species to date. It is a reliable, prolific bloomer and grower and hangs sidewise out of a basket filled with long-fibered sphagnum and large CHC, up high for maximum light in the greenhouse. It is not a small plant, and is now rather heavy with its large, pendulous pseudobulbs. I had never detected a fragrance before, but went out just after dawn this morning to measure the flowers (3.25" across) on this and the other chysis I have blooming now. Lo and behold, it has a strong sweet yet spicy fragrance! It is apparently night fragrant, for I have never detected the fragrance during the day. I usually get over 20 flowers on the single inflorescence and am waiting for the plant to branch hoping for even more. It will have to be repotted this year, and perhaps dividing off the back end will spur it to branch. This year, there are bluish lines on the ends of the segments in addition to the bluish lip. The lines have been fainter on some bloomings, and do not photograph well.

Attachments

• bractescensclose0412.jpg
    bractescensclose0412.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 20
  • bractescensmulti0412.jpg
    bractescensmulti0412.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 19
  • bractescensfull0412adj.jpg
    bractescensfull0412adj.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
I. I had never detected a fragrance before, but went out just after dawn this morning to measure the flowers (3.25" across) on this and the other chysis I have blooming now. Lo and behold, it has a strong sweet yet spicy fragrance! It is apparently night fragrant, for I have never detected the fragrance during the day.

This is why we need to sleep with our orchids! :D This is lovely, if it becomes dividable remmber me please.

Tenman, every time you post a photo of this one I just can't stop looking at it. I keep hoping it will show up on your spacemaking sale list some day and I will be lucky enough to see it before Eric!

Tenman, every time you post a photo of this one I just can't stop looking at it. I keep hoping it will show up on your spacemaking sale list some day and I will be lucky enough to see it before Eric!

Keep your eyes peeled; you may be surprised.

Very nice clon of this great species! I had never herd of var. Coerulea in this genus... Learned something new today :)

I can't figure out the 3rd photo -- it looks like the basket is hanging sideways, but that can't be or the media would fall out. So the photo should be horizontal???

Nope, the third photo is right this way... Media is hold by the black net... This plant needs to be grown this way due to the long heavy hanging pseudobulbs...
This method is also used for some Phalaenopsis and other hanging species, e.g. Catasetum longifolium

Nope, the third photo is right this way... Media is hold by the black net... This plant needs to be grown this way due to the long heavy hanging pseudobulbs...
This method is also used for some Phalaenopsis and other hanging species, e.g. Catasetum longifolium

OK -- thanks. It's obvious I know little about this Genus.

Latest posts

Back