Chysis bractescens coerulea 'Hermosa Dawn' CHM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
While out in the GH today working on the sale/trade list I'm trying to get up next week, I just had to take a break and snap a few quick pics in place of a couple special plants today.This one, unique for its blue lip, does its thing regularly every spring, this year 24 flowers and buds; it's growing from an 8" vanda basket suspended sideways, in a 'mix' of sphagnum and large CHC. Unfortunately it's newest growth is so far from the basket now I know I'm going to have to redo the plant after blooming, which will be a major undertaking, and probably cut it down some in order to have it still be manageable. The flowers are about 3" across and the plant is large, anout 36" from the tip of the top flower to the end of the longest leaf. It's a big plant and with the limited space I have, there aren't many plants that earn that much space, but this is one.

Attachments

• hermosadawn0411close.jpg
    hermosadawn0411close.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 21
  • hermosadawn0411full.jpg
    hermosadawn0411full.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 24
  • hermosadawn0411infl.jpg
    hermosadawn0411infl.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 29
It looks a lot like my Chysis Langleyensis with the blue lip. Same growth habit, same size and a stem way out of it's plaque.

I posted it befor but here it is again for comparison. Langleyensis is bractescens x Chelsonii.

ChysisLangleyensis2.jpg

I do admit that Tenman's pic is better. :)

I posted it befor but here it is again for comparison. Langleyensis is bractescens x Chelsonii.

I do admit that Tenman's pic is better. :)

Very nice flowers and good pic, but I don't think that's labeled correctly. All the langleyensis I've ever seen have been uniformly the same: cream center, lavender petals, sepals and lip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back