Chysis Langleyensis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
This is a hybrid of Chysis bractescens x Chelsonii. Chelsonii is bractescens x laevis. I waited about 15 years for a division of this plant, finally getting the whole thing last year when the owner decided to give up growing orchids altogether. The plant was run-down but sprung back to life with repotting and some TLC, and now has sent out two small inflorescences. I expect it will get more flowers once it has fully recovered. I was pleased to see that the two small backbulb divisions are also sending out new growth, but since I don't have room and the parent plant is doing well, I will have to let them go on my upcoming spacemaking sale list.

My Chysis bractescens coerulea is also in bloom. They are both hanging sidewise out of baskets filled with a combination of long-fibered sphagnum and large CHC, hangiing up high in strong light. The spikes spring from the new growth and fade before it matures and the leaves fill out. The flowers are just under 3" across and have the curious habit of closing up at night, and no fragrance I have detected.

Attachments

• langleyensisclose0412.jpg
    langleyensisclose0412.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
  • langleyensisfull0412two.jpg
    langleyensisfull0412two.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23
  • langleyensissideclose0412adj.jpg
    langleyensissideclose0412adj.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 12
Glen Decker has a very big plant of it that got a CCM of 99 points I think....

Latest posts

Back