charlesworthii x victoria-mariae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago Chad

Reaction score
I rec'd this very old cross in an auction earlier this year. I cannot find a pic of it anywhere, nor a registered name. Can anyone help me out with either? It is in bud and I don't really know what to expect, except comparing it to similar species.
Thanks.

Old Spice (victoria-regina x charlesworthii) Rex Van Delden 1973
Mrs. Sutton Willoughby (chamberlainianum x charlesworthii) 1907

I follow the taxonomy used by Guido, Paph chamberlainianum is the correct species name, victoria-regina is a name where it is unclear what plant the name refers too. Chamberlainianum was published first and should have priority.

Either way. This should be a lovely hybrid. I would expect a flower that would look very much like charlesworthii, nice red-purple dorsal, brownish pouch.

Thanks Leo. I have seen the Old Spice cross but I am looking for the victoria-mariae cross name. I cannot find it with this parent. I do not know if it is registered. If so, I would imagine it was ages ago.

To the best of my knowledge it has not been registered. I have checked my old texts, and can find not reference to it prior to 1968. Online checks do not reveal anything after that date either.
vict-mariae has been used only something like 20 times, and I can find no reference to it being used prior to 1990.

oops, I did not read the name carefully,

victoria-mariae is a good valid species name. This is the only one I know of, of the cochopetalum Paphs that comes from volcanic soils, and does not like limestone in the potting mix. As a result, few are in cultivation, because most imports were killed off by people reflexively planting them in a potting mix with limestone or oystershell like they would for glaucophyllum or primulinum.

Paph victoria-mariae does not need a strongly acid mix, a normal potting mix will work fine, but don't give it a lot of lime.

You are right, the hybrid does not appear to be registered. Bloom the cross, take a photo, then submit a registration form to the RHS.

Will do. If all goes well as the spike develops, Ill post some pics. I do grow it more acidic than others, but that is based on the media used. I have not measured the PH of the pour through. It sent a spike on its forth leaf and a pretty small LS. I know the original grower has bloomed it many times, but he is unconcerned with either registering or photographing it. I think he's 86 and his priorities are elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back