charlesworthii fm. sandowiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fibre

Reaction score
Here are three charlesworthii. The third one is line breed in the US. The first and the second are probably of Japanese breeding.

2a9y07s.jpg
2s1kttx.jpg

The first is quite a tiny plant. LS is only 13 cm! (Flower: NS 5.3 cm, DW 3.9 cm)

The second one is a nice compact growing plant too. LS is 20 cm. (Flower: NS 5.8 cm, DW 5.1 cm)

qzgk7k.jpg

This plant has leaves of 15 cm length, double the size of the first one! (Flower: NS 7.5 cm, DW 7.3 cm)

Do you think it is a good idea to cross #1 and #3 to get a tiny charles with a big flower? Or will I get a large plant and a tiny flower more probably?

Probably, in the first generation you will get a bigger plant and smaller flower but if you continue to linebreed to the F2 you will get flower and plant size segregating and have some plants with larger flowers on smaller plants. BUT, plant size affects flower size through physiology not just genetics (i.e. bigger leaver mean more fuel production to grow bigger flowers) so you may never achieve big flowers on small plants.

That said, my Avatar bloomed on a plant about 12 cm across. It was about 30 cm across last year when it bloomed (same size flower) so there is room to maneuver with respect to leafspan and flower size.

wow is all I can say

all 3 are beautys, self 3 I would say or give the pollen to me

Just looking it appears 1 and 2 have the same genetic background. I would do a 1/3 or 2/3 or 1&2 with 3!

Latest posts

Back