Cattleya warscewizii sanderiana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

monocotman

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
This is a seedling flowering for the second time.
This cross between the clones ‘pink geisha’ and ‘war zone’ is still being offered by OL.
Now that the plant is well established, the flowers are much bigger than last year.
They should look good on a fully mature plant.
8DD8DA5C-8E00-4BFB-BBBE-89965B28AE19.jpegEE247286-357A-470A-8C18-C1076E8A9F63.jpeg
David

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
David, these flowers are great and huge.....and they look good even on this plant. 👌

tomp

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
David that flower is magnificent! Gold job.
I did not know warscewizii could be that full.

terryros

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
David, the OL description of this cross (they made it both ways) has resulted in frequent marmoration of the petals but I don’t see any on yours?

DrLeslieEe

Addict and Aficionado of Fine Orchids
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm marmorata refers to dot patterns on lips of warscewicziis. You sure it was described about the petals?

h_mossy

Reaction score
Don't know much about it, but it's really nice looking with a very intense lip! Scented?

Last edited:

monocotman

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Quote from the OL website.
These are have incredible vigor and so far the flowers on those that have bloomed have the marmoration in the petals and sepals.
I’ve not seen any on mine yet.
The flowers have a slight scent but it’s nothing like as strong as the two gaskellianas.

DrLeslieEe

Addict and Aficionado of Fine Orchids
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Quote from the OL website.
These are have incredible vigor and so far the flowers on those that have bloomed have the marmoration in the petals and sepals.
I’ve not seen any on mine yet.
The flowers have a slight scent but it’s nothing like as strong as the two gaskellianas.
So I was curious as to this description and never saw this petal description in my previous research on warscewiczii for my lecture on this species, I decided to ask Colombian experts on warscewicziis on this. It turns out this veining is a common trait in dark sanderaes and not given a color form name. So this ‘marmoration’ descriptor is a horticultural term used by OL, not in Colombia.

However, as mentioned in my previous post, marmorata is a dotted appearance that occurs in warscewiczii lip. It does sometimes happen on petals of one specific cultivar of warscewiczii called ‘Nutibara’, where dots appear along petal margins. I will get a picture courtesy of Orquideas Katia (Gustavo from Medellin, Colombia) later.

Last edited:

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
The orchid world is full of surprising things.....what a beauty 👌 .....thanks for the photo and your explanations, Leslie.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Beautiful, the flower looks like it's glowing, and the plant looks rather compact too!