Cattleya walkeriana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
This is the first flowering for this plant, that I got in 1995!!! Jean

cattleyawalkeriana45505iv6.jpg

the first bloom opening :

cattleyawalkeriana45505rj6.jpg

Candace and ChrisFL grow catts, contact them to find out for sure. after 13 years it would be good to know for sure. You can search walkeriana threads for other photos.

Walkeriana is distinctive in that it will develop a growth and then will grow a modified flowering growth from the base of the new growth.

EDIT: on looking at some walker pics on a google search...Jean, yours could possibly be a walker

Here is a typical walker

Cattwalkeriana.jpg

Jean - wathever it is its beutiful,
but most of all I am soo impressed of your patience.
I wonder if I could wait so long even though I have a pretty good patience:)

I think we are all so accustomed to seeing highly selected forms of Cattleya walkeriana that a truly typical representative of the species looks strange to some. Even knowing if the plant bloomed from a normal mature growth or from a reduced growth directly from the rhizome isn't 100% yes or no for walkeriana.

i've seen some south/central american orchid vendors that had nearly (maybe not quite as many) as many different varieties and colors of walkeriana as some people have of neofinetia. I guess with that many different varieties there are bound to be some non-traditional looking flowers

I have noted that even the p-bulb shape varies greatly in this species. I truly wonder if things that are being sold as different color forms of walkeriana does not have some other species blood in their backgrounds...I am suspicious of some of the color forms of Neof. as well.

I have noted that even the p-bulb shape varies greatly in this species. I truly wonder if things that are being sold as different color forms of walkeriana does not have some other species blood in their backgrounds...I am suspicious of some of the color forms of Neof. as well.

I think we all tend to underestimate the natural variability of most species. Usually what we see is from 1 or 2 wild populations, already selected for what was accessible and looked good at the time and what managed to survive in cultivation. Add even 1 generation of selective breeding and what we think of as typical is a very narrow and skewed representation of the species, and something like Neo. falcata has had hundreds of years of artificial selection for unusual forms. Remember also that 'species' is an artificial concept we try to impose on the natural world. There are no such clear cut lines in nature.

too much w - a - t - e - r
eric, try it mounted, then you can water it every day. same thing with the psychopsis, mounted on cork with lots of air movement and you'll likely need to water it all the time
where there's a will, there's a way! ;)

Latest posts

Back