Cattleya walkeriana v. alba 'Pendentive' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Compared to bloomings in other years, this year the flowers are much larger. Lasts long and smells nice too! :)

Attachments

• DSC02019-2 Cattleya walkeriana  v. alba Pendentive AM AOS fnt.JPG
    DSC02019-2 Cattleya walkeriana v. alba Pendentive AM AOS fnt.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC02028-2 Cattleya walkeriana v. alba Pendentive AM AOS lft.JPG
    DSC02028-2 Cattleya walkeriana v. alba Pendentive AM AOS lft.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC02009-2 Cattleya walkeriana v. alba Pendentive AM AOS rt.JPG
    DSC02009-2 Cattleya walkeriana v. alba Pendentive AM AOS rt.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 43
White flowers...and what nice flowers!!! It's so nice to
see upright dorsals on just about any Catt. Alliance flowers
lately. Have you noticed all the floppy dorsals popping up
in the last few years on flowers posted on the 'net? This
one is perfection.

Thank you both.

Angela: I agree, an unright dorsal is so nice! In fact, this flower is thick and hard. If I tried to make the petals or dorsal reflex back, they'd just snap off. It's as if the flower is made of a kind of hard, brittle plastic.

Thanks everyone.

Ozpaph; compared to my walkeriana v. coerulea 'Chouju' clone, yes, it flowers much less often. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a small plant or a huge, multiple lead plant. The flowers are produced sparingly. However, I do get flowers often enough to want to keep the plant and look forward to the flowers in the knowledge that I will eventually see them. At least, once it does come into bloom (once or, if I'm lucky, twice a year), the flowers last very well. I really don't like orchids that are reluctant bloomers which, when they finally produce blooms, stay in bloom only for a week or less. However, 'Pendentive' is not like that. The flowers last about 6 to 8 weeks. Plus, in all fairness, the 'Chouju' clone is a VERY free flowering clone. Most walkerianas don't flower so frequently as 'Chouju'.

Beautiful flowering ! Indeed It still exist some doubs about it's real identity ...Not a pure walkeriana.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 9 en utilisant Tapatalk

There is a brief article in the australian orchid review this month (I think) that states the RHS committee recognises 'Pendentive' as a hybrid and that "any walkeriana with yellow in the lip is a hybrid", of what they are unsure. Ill see if I can post it, later.

Thanks again, everyone.

I've heard that this clone may not be pure; but, I've never heard specifics in the argument against it being pure. I did not know about the issue of yellow in the lip being a factor to consider. It does have longer pseudobulbs than most plants that are considered pure walkeriana; but, it's got the right flower count and growth habit, otherwise. The flower itself has a more "beefy" substance; but, that could possibly be because it's 4N, if it's 4N. I'd be interested in reading that article. Thanks.

Pretty sure this is one of the plants that ended up being a dolosa

There was a mix up at the nursery or lab and these got mislabelled as straight walkeriana, these were everywhere in the early 90's and many got awarded until the Japanese first refused to accept them as walkerianas. Subsequent testing revealed they were dolosa. Now in many places they are referred to as the pendentive strain and not accepted for judging

Thanks again, everyone.

I've heard that this clone may not be pure; but, I've never heard specifics in the argument against it being pure. I did not know about the issue of yellow in the lip being a factor to consider. It does have longer pseudobulbs than most plants that are considered pure walkeriana; but, it's got the right flower count and growth habit, otherwise. The flower itself has a more "beefy" substance; but, that could possibly be because it's 4N, if it's 4N. I'd be interested in reading that article. Thanks.

There have been articles I'll see what I can find. It's been a long time since I have seen them

Back