Cattleya walkeriana fm. semialba hv. perola (fm. flamea?) ‘Cherry Lips’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is likely my most beautiful walkeriana color form.

The variety is confusing as it has a white base and red lip (semialba) but has a blush pink (perola or pearl tint) that looks like a flamea.

12D4C748-AABB-4238-983E-F7FFAF8C1134.jpegB3FF5880-09FD-4D3D-AE69-73525FB61A0C.jpeg33FAA679-B62A-47D0-B640-7EA4C96D1E46.jpeg2E49D4DC-1515-4012-BF93-F3F5525330B3.jpegD85F4F6B-9AF5-476A-8330-1A5F72945971.jpeg

Depending on which expert or region in Brazil, they will call it a different color variety. What do you members here think?

Semialba is about my favorite forms. I used to buy white Phalaenopsis with red lip almost every month just so I have one in bloom at all time!
Back to Cattleya, the front cover of Orchids magazine back home stuck on my mind as a little kid. That was a large round white Cattleya with red lip. I just never saw one in person growing up. That's how rare these things were for me long ago.
Now back to walkeriana, I bought a blooming size alba not too long ago. It grew one nice growth under my care, which was rewarding.
Then, it started two new shoots earlier this year. I was super excited thinking they might turn out to be flowers!!
Well, they have grown a bit larger and now I see they have a leaf and not a bud. Oh, well. Just a bit more waiting, I guess.

I am not sure that semi-alba is the correct varietal name. There is a amethyst blush on all the flower segments as well as a narrow central flare or streak.
The sepals are fabulously positioned, nice round petals, along with a great lip with loads of color!!!
Not sure of variety but this is a very special clone in my opinion. Perhaps a Cattleya expert/breeder like Francisco Miranda might know?
If the overall size is good and it looks to be that way, I would think that this is awardable.
Congratulations upon locating such an excellent clone!!
Flammea is certainly possible.

Dare I say it?? FCC!
If it looks as good in front of me as it does here Doctor Ee, I am thinking 90 points. More with an eventual second flower. The small notches in the petals edges do not bother me at all!

I am not sure that semi-alba is the correct varietal name. There is a amethyst blush on all the flower segments as well as a narrow central flare or streak.
The sepals are fabulously positioned, nice round petals, along with a great lip with loads of color!!!
Not sure of variety but this is a very special clone in my opinion. Perhaps a Cattleya expert/breeder like Francisco Miranda might know?
If the overall size is good and it looks to be that way, I would think that this is awardable.
Congratulations upon locating such an excellent clone!!
Flammea is certainly possible.

Dare I say it?? FCC!
If it looks as good in front of me as it does here Doctor Ee, I am thinking 90 points. More with an eventual second flower. The small notches in the petals edges do not bother me at all!
Wow a possible FCC is an exciting prospect!

I’ll ask Francisco Miranda and a few other walkeriana growers to see what they classify this as and will post once I get an answer.

I really like it, great form, and colour, save for those strange cuts in the petals, I have seen them before in walkeriana. How high an award it will get, is tantalising.

It is a very pretty flower but would those notches in the petals not be a fatal flaw at judging? I don't see any plants with them in the recent award record after scrolling through the last five years of awards.

You have to remember that in the AOS Judging Handbook, there is NO mention of a “fatal flaw”. I am however familiar with the term and the reasoning behind it.

In looking at this flower it’s 2 negatives as I see them are 1. a single flower and 2. those notches along the upper edges of both petals. The AOS flower quality score sheet allows a judge to account for those notches. We can overlook them or take off a few points.
When I see them, they actually look like small cuts or creases caused by too much tissue in the petal. But, they are not glaring creases or open gaps in the petal margin. They are relatively minor and close back upon the petal margin. The points taken off though are not a fatal flaw. It is a deduction of a single point to a few points depending upon the judge. That is part of the reason I am at 90 points, not 93, 94 or 96! The other deduction in score for me is for the single flower. If those were NOT issues, I could be at 93, 94 or 95 points. It is hard to make an exact evaluation without looking at other award images, measurements and descriptions.
We would love to see perfect flowers, score them 98 points, but they are extremely rare!!!
From my experience having grow 40 different clones of walkeriana, seeing dozens in sales booths and at shows, that walkeriana of Doctor Ee’s is one of the top three or so that I have ever seen.

Well that is always possible. But my experience tells me not to be too hasty. But this is something I always try to educate or instruct our new judging candidates about. So much of our opinions or knowledge about what makes a good flower a good flower is what we have seen in the past.
In all my years of orchids starting back in 1974, I try to be observant, listen and learn. I didn’t really start to get serious until 1986 when I was Head Clerk on the Cattleya Team at the Greater New York International Orchid Show back at the World Trade Center.
It took another 9 years before I joined the program as a student judge. But Orchid Societies we’re abundant in the NYC area. There must have been 8 to 10 shows a year with monthly meetings of a dozen clubs. Speakers, talks, plants for sale, etc. I saw a lot of orchid material in those years.

But for me, it quickly became a passion. I loved bifoliate Cattleyas but walkeriana has been a particular favorite. I struggled growing then in NYC, struggled here in Michigan but in Florida, THEY GREW LIKE WEEDS! As easy a plant to bloom as there ever was.
These were a couple of what I had.CCC68D60-64FE-4214-98C8-26627A1F3BBF.jpeg676537DE-155E-4064-B359-46FB832A9859.jpegC81E054D-599A-4AE4-97A0-694327E7FBCD.jpeg1C9F8DDE-F731-4722-9F1F-888192636F91.jpeg

It is a very pretty flower but would those notches in the petals not be a fatal flaw at judging? I don't see any plants with them in the recent award record after scrolling through the last five years of awards.
Notches on Cattleya petals are quite common due to the development stages of the petals while unfolding, particularly those with thicker substances. How deep these notches are symmetrical and acceptable is different to each individual judges and judging centres.

It appears from my experience that as long as it is not too distracting from pictures and overall beauty, most will take points off rather than making it a ‘fatal flaw’.

I do agree that two flowers are the minimum to score a walkeriana.

Last edited:
Well that is always possible. But my experience tells me not to be too hasty. But this is something I always try to educate or instruct our new judging candidates about. So much of our opinions or knowledge about what makes a good flower a good flower is what we have seen in the past.
In all my years of orchids starting back in 1974, I try to be observant, listen and learn. I didn’t really start to get serious until 1986 when I was Head Clerk on the Cattleya Team at the Greater New York International Orchid Show back at the World Trade Center.
It took another 9 years before I joined the program as a student judge. But Orchid Societies we’re abundant in the NYC area. There must have been 8 to 10 shows a year with monthly meetings of a dozen clubs. Speakers, talks, plants for sale, etc. I saw a lot of orchid material in those years.

But for me, it quickly became a passion. I loved bifoliate Cattleyas but walkeriana has been a particular favorite. I struggled growing then in NYC, struggled here in Michigan but in Florida, THEY GREW LIKE WEEDS! As easy a plant to bloom as there ever was.
These were a couple of what I had.View attachment 41432View attachment 41433View attachment 41434View attachment 41435
Beautiful flowers and great story!

If you are having trouble blooming straight walkeriana, I have a tip for you all to try. A judging friend of mine nearly 25 years ago said to me "morning sun" was the key. Not too much sun, not afternoon sun, but morning sun. He said try it, you will see.
Now on Long Island I moved all of my walkeriana's to the East facing wall of my greenhouse. BUT my neighbor's house would block the morning sun during the summer until around 10:30-11:00am. I imagine that he would not have looked kindly at me for knocking off the second story of his home. But by doing that I did get more flowers. My buddy also suggested to avoid letting them grow too warm. He felt that walkeriana was not happy in excessively warm conditions. 85 degrees maximum is what he thought that they preferred.
Now when I moved to Florida, I thought 85 degrees! How can I maintain 85 degrees???? I did have them facing East on vertical wire shelving as you can see in the images but whether mounted or potted, I made sure that they had a fan on them at all times. Then in Florida, no direct sunlight after 1pm. Not an easy thing to do from April through September. But on Long Island I went from a couple of flowering walkeriana's to perhaps !/3 of them bloom regularly. In Florida about 2/3 of my 40 some odd clones would flower regularly. 67% was amazing! Many would bloom twice a year.
Now in Michigan, how do I produce 4 hours of morning sun?? Thats' tough. That's why mine don't bloom much here. I have only 4 clones. But I put them out from May 1 until October 1, facing East as I refuse to give up.

I don't know if that information will help anyone grow walkeriana but I figured to post my experiences with that species.

So the answer is move to Florida lol
Jokes aside, I love those beautiful Cattleya walkeriana you shared. The very first one is my kind of walkeriana shape, narrow and sharp starry appearnce. The second is a bit chunky to my taste but very cute!!
None of those four you shared have any minor cuts or creases on the petals, which is how I prefer it.

OMG, 4 is a lot for sure!! I love how they look in this photo. They look too cute!!
In Japan, they have a whole society dedicated to just Cattleya walkeriana. I want some of their nice stuff. I'll first have to feel comfortable growing them well enogh before splurging on the good ones. 😁

Latest posts

Back