Cattleya trianae - coerulea, ceniza, coerulensis?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have posted this flower before. It comes from good breeding and I think it turned out to be a good flower. It is about 14.5 cm NS.

trianae amethyst.jpeg

My question concerns the terms to describe its coloration. We have discussed this issue with trianae in several different chains on this forum. Dr LeslieEe has the stage for this, so I am just going lift from his comments from the other chains. He can then edit/addend as needed.

1. “Coerulea is defined as a gray tone over red, making it like slate gray tones (think of an opaque grey film over the red color, or frosted glass). If the base red is deep, the blue will look darker. Coerulea can be light violet blue, grey blue, deep blue violet, light pink blue, or grey violet. It may look more pink in yellow sunlight (eg morning sun or sunset). Best color in midday to late afternoon sun, in bright shade.”

2. “Pure coerulea flowers have blue lip and white sepals and petals. If the sepals and petals have a light blue tone, it is called ceniza.”

3. “There is the other designation coerulensis (or similar spelling). This colour is defined as a very light form of the coerulea, like a very very faint tinge of it (5-15%). It could be on the tepals, or just a faint drop on the lip. The best way to see this is when the flower is backlit.”

The petals of my flower are not pure white and have the definite pincelada so I would take Leslie to mean that coerulea is not strictly the best term for the flower. I am curious about whether he thinks ceniza or coerulensis fit the appearance the best.

Terry, that one nice flower. A keeper.

The flower has a slate blue lip, thus coerulea. The mini flares are not big enough for flamea, so it’s pincelada. The petals are not blue enough for ceniza.

So officially in judging it will be considered coerulea pincelada.
Great and thanks. When do you think of using coerulensis?

Terry, that one nice flower. A keeper.

The flower has a slate blue lip, thus coerulea. The mini flares are not big enough for flamea, so it’s pincelada. The petals are not blue enough for ceniza.

So officially in judging it will be considered coerulea pincelada.
“Slate blue?” Are the great orchid men colorblind?

Attachments

• CA23A74A-F269-42C1-BC39-C2B1E4E21884.png
    CA23A74A-F269-42C1-BC39-C2B1E4E21884.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 0
Stunning, amazing balance and nice dorsal! Much better form than most blue trianae out there on the internet. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back