Cattleya trianae ‘splash’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A plant bought when ecuagenera came to Cambridge UK about 18 months ago. It’s a quick grower and likes the new conditions. It has produced this new growth, flowers and then two new growths this year, despite being repotted.
Its only problem is the strength of the flower stem. It is very weak and needs to be fully supported. Maybe in time, on a larger plant this will resolve itself.
Anyway a nice thing, correctly named (!) and with decent splash petals.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
David, it is probably too early to be sure how your plant cycles are going to settle out under your new conditions, but do you have a sense about whether your Cattleyas are blooming earlier/later than the traditionally noted times?

I like these flowers a lot and also I bought such a plant from Ecuagenera last year. I'm still hoping for flowers of this year's new growth .... we will see.

Mine are all generally flowering earlier.
I don’t yet know whether this is done just to the new warmer conditions are whether it’s partly a legacy of last winter and five months in a much cooler farmhouse.
I now have new growths on several labiata and lueddemannina clones. Something I never saw when they were growing on the windowsills.

Mine are all generally flowering earlier.
I don’t yet know whether this is done just to the new warmer conditions are whether it’s partly a legacy of last winter and five months in a much cooler farmhouse.
I now have new growths on several labiata and lueddemannina clones. Something I never saw when they were growing on the windowsills.
I will watch your results this next year or so. I think much of our traditional guidelines about growth and flowering periods for the large, unifoliate Cattleyas (and maybe other things as well) came from the decades of experience with northern latitude greenhouses without supplemental light. Some of these results are different from what happens in the natural habitat. The indoor, under (now mostly) LED lights gets to experiment with growing conditions and figure new things out.

It’ll be very interesting to see how things develop.
Its a very stable and warm environment in the grow room.
Ive seen really good growth and flowering so far.
The hunt is for the ones that require a cooler, drier winter rest to initiate flowering. Just because a species gets cool and dry conditions in situ might not mean these are mandatory for flowering. For an indoor grower, trying to get 55 F/13 C nights is not always easy. With your great species collection you can help identify those that will bloom without getting really cool or maybe really dry.

Latest posts

Back