Cattleya rex (Flamea) ‘Andean Treasure’ FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will admit i messaged Gerardo Castiglione, the Venezuelan Cattleya grower whose opinion i regard highly, about whether this plant deserved the 90 points. His response was 'Without a doubt. Very good', and so with his testimony along with the judging team's expertise, I dare not contest it. I would love to have seen the plants at the show and am looking forward to the award photos, measurements, etc.
Who was the exhibitor? Peruflora? Sr. Quevedo?
Like I mentioned above, I conferred with all the experienced judges (non-AOS and AOS) and growers there, including Gerardo, who headed my ribbon team on cattleyas, before I made my informed score. The reasons I gave above were some of the ones Gerardo and I discussed at length about this plant. I too regard his experience and wisdom.

In addition, I have watched your plants too as a comparison MyGreenPets so as not to jump the gun too far off. Yours flowered beautifully and was the base I worked from as well as other factors.

Another second rex (rosita) flowered in show 2 days too late but did not compare with the FCC (pic below). Can you all see why?

FB62416B-453C-49C7-AD5C-1F933FA75838.jpeg81524046-28FA-4BF8-B8BB-D70C814D806A.jpeg2FFB2101-8D70-4217-AF60-93F861C3B3E9.jpegF61445AA-4585-4B01-A2A0-27B588B01612.jpeg

It was called rosita because there is color on the posterior petals that the FCC didn’t. Though not a true rosita like dowiana, it reflects color on all parts.

Wow , what a minefield. For most of us an FCC is a very rare achievement, I have wondered if in a species cattleya should it be the best in it's species or does it have to stand the test of being judged against all other species. For the moment I would say "best of it's own species". Some criteria in the handbook on judging simply states, 6.2.1.1 First Class Certificate (FCC) Awarded to an orchid species or hybrid which scores 90 points or more. On the making of the decision the guidelines are thus: 7.1 Quality The purpose of judging quality is to recognize superiority and improvement in extraordinary orchid flowers rather than recognizing commonplace characteristics. In scoring for quality awards(i.e., for HCC, AM and FCC), judges should consider and apply equally the following three principles: (1) the hypothetical standard of perfection, at the time. (2) the qualities and merits of previously awarded or known plants of comparable type, breeding or characteristics; and (3) the extent to which any quality or characteristic of the plant represents an advance over what has been witnessed heretofore and thereby establishes a new standard for the future. I appreciate the detailing of the criteria by Leslie that led to the decision. Remember many of us have very limited personal contact with this species, some are more informed. For me, the FCC test is the test of TIME. So we will see, in good time.
BTW. Rex, not easy to re-establish. Caution.
Nice post David.
I personally, can’t see any other way than: “best of its own species". How could one fairly rank or judge a superb Catt versus a superb Bulbo? (or a apple vs a banana).
Tom

As Tony mentioned, there is a best of show selected from the winners of each category from non-AOS ribbon judging.
Wow, I didn’t know. If the point system for judging is valid, I can see choosing the highest point awarded plant in the whole show to be best in show. But, to have someone or a few people look around and say “That Cattleya is a better orchid than all the other orchids” seems very difficult.

Wow, I didn’t know. If the point system for judging is valid, I can see choosing the highest point awarded plant in the whole show to be best in show. But, to have someone or a few people look around and say “That Cattleya is a better orchid than all the other orchids” seems very difficult.

That's why ribbon judging and quality awards are two separate things, ribbons are largely subjective and based primarily on what plants are the most eye catching even if the blooms are not award quality while quality awards are meant to be an objective comparison of plants within a species or grex.

The best of show is usually the most impressive flowering plant that catches the public eye. It may or may not even be awarded by AOS. For example in the Lima show, this rex FCC did not get best of show but rather an impressive huge maxima tipo with around 54 flowers did (the maxima got a CCM too).

As Tony pointed out, it is the best plant of that one show, compared to all plants at the show. Usually because it was huge and floriferous (but not always such as in Tokyo Dome show where a single huge complex Paph flower can win).

With AOS judging, we compare the flower to all same grex/species/cross that were previously AOS awarded in all other shows and judging centers prior.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back