Cattleya Dupreana ‘Kodama’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dupreana was RHS registered in 1906. It may have been RHS awarded over the years, but there are only two AOS awards, an HCC for an alba in 1989 and an HCC for a “lavender-blue” in 2010. Your ‘Kodama’ looks at least as good as the 1989 cultivar. I can find that ‘Kodama’ has been available online from a handful of Cattleya growers so it looks like it was mericloned. So, highly regarded but maybe not taken for judging?

Dupreana has been well regarded as a parent, being used in over 100 registered hybrids. I have a plant of Annie, a backcross of Dupreana (coerulea) to warneri (coerulea) that I will be happy to see bloom.

The 6500K color index lighting would be noon sunlight, so more toward the blue spectrum than morning or afternoon light. Lighting conditions probably explain the color variation of the online photos of 'Kodama'. Alternatively, the mericlone offspring of 'Kodama' do not have to be identical and some could be more intensely coerulea.

So the primary results above are a reason I have acquired several coerulea crosses from SVO using Indigo Valentine, Indigo Dawn and Indigo Love, which all have varying percentages of warneri and warscewiczii in them. In orchid shows, the cattleya classes are species and hybrid so with hybrids getting the fullest best formed , best colored flower is a winning formula. I have been growing a Cattleya Valentine (loddigesii x warneri) plant for over 20 years now and have sold at least a dozen plant divisions from it, so it earns it's keep.

Attachments

• valentine_Trim_Moment.jpg
    valentine_Trim_Moment.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 0
So the primary results above are a reason I have acquired several coerulea crosses from SVO using Indigo Valentine, Indigo Dawn and Indigo Love, which all have varying percentages of warneri and warscewiczii in them. In orchid shows, the cattleya classes are species and hybrid so with hybrids getting the fullest best formed , best colored flower is a winning formula. I have been growing a Cattleya Valentine (loddigesii x warneri) plant for over 20 years now and have sold at least a dozen plant divisions from it, so it earns it's keep.
Beautiful! I must say I am loving the open, more natural form these species and primary hybrids have! Especially in cerulean shades.

Wow that is an amazing coerulea form of Dupreana, congrats.

For comparison I have this tipo form which flowered recently, I think it was an import from Brazil.

20230910_142034.jpg

Latest posts

Back