Cattleya acclandiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I have this Cattleya aclandiae plant since 2000. Last year it first bloomed, and this year's bloom is yet larger. Unfortunately, the tepals have tendency to curl backwards after some days. It has a light fragrance. Jean

cattleyaaclandiae000690kq0.jpg

This one is very dark Jean. This one and schileriana are my favorite Catts.

I have been trying to figure out the curling lip and petal thing on mine too. I have not bloomed acladia yet, but I have bloomed schileriana for a few years in a row. I got both of the species from Ed M. I don't think they are divisions from the same plant, but I think they are all from the same batches of sib crosses (per the respective species), so genetically they should be pretty similar. Ed's (both species) consistently bloom with flawless flat flowers (of coarse!!!), but my schilleriana only has nice full lips about 25% of the time. Mine tends to have a higher flower count per spike, but also blooms only on every other growth, while his blooms on almost every growth.

I think I tend to grow mine brighter and hotter (plus it's mounted and not potted like most of Ed's). I believe he does have at least one acladia mounted though. Sometimes the leaves on mine get very dark purple. I used to think that was just a response to high light and heat conditions, but now I'm thinking that it may be a response to inadequate phosphorus support.

I'm going to try pushing some more phosphorus into mine to see if it produces better flowers.

I don't think the lip fades! There's more attraction with those spotted petals!

Tadd - a local GH pretty much sells them strictly mounted, which to me, says it's the way to go!

Back