Cat harrisoniana var. violacea 2014

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Once again blooming and enjoying the basket culture rather then the S/H I previously had it in.

Catharrisonianavarviolacea_zpsaf9770ee.jpg

Catharrisonianavarviolacea2_zps445b4831.jpg

Hey John, That's a coconut liner for structure, inside is Orchiata #5+ with #4 spronge rock and agrflore clay balls. It didn't like the S/H. As you can see most of its root system grew up into the air rather into the pot.

Do you think the coco fibre baskets have an advantage over the slatted timber baskets?
An intense splash of colour, would look great hanging at my front door!

Yep, the whole flower, much smaller then a typical harrisoniana but a lot darker pink to violet in color. This plant came from Gold Country Orchids many years ago as a compot...the lone soldier.

Thanks Rick. I asked because I knew that you use sphagnum moss in your slatted basket culture. I wondered if you did the same; or went with something else for this plant.

Interesting, Rick. I put one of my Cattleya's in this kind of basket with a similar mix. It love it, sending roots through the fiber for at least a foot, and all kinds of roots inside. I didn't like that I had to duck under the roots all the time, so I finally toolkit out of that basket and now it is in a large clay pot with live moss as the medium (not sphagnum). We'll see how that works.

Lovely color on that flower.

I ask about the basket, because in a moment of lapse of focus, I bought 4 flasks of phalanopsis, and am thinking of planting the whole flask one to a basket (I don't have space to plant them individually!):eek:

My phals are in a compot, but are now ready to be planted individually. My thinking is to plant the whole flask (4 compots of five plants) into a single basket. Perhaps I will be lucky and they will provide a pleasing display of multiple spikes. If not in the short term, perhaps in 2 or three years. I just do not have the space to dedicate to them:(

Sorry Rick, this was not intended as a hijacking of your thread, especially not with some rather arb phals. Hopefully your coco lined baskets will at least elevate them to a passable level of acceptability?

You probably would do alright throwing them in one of your newly make wood baskets with nothing at all in it except for roots. I grew a phal species for 4 yrs in a clay pot with nothing at all until I traded it off for a paph:eek:
It had a wonderful root system with nothing but clay to support it.

Latest posts

Back