Calanthe sylvatica 'Wacousta'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
I didn't take this plant outside this Spring because it already had a spike forming. What is unusual in this blooming is the lower "branch" -- it's never done this before.

I'm including a photo of the whole plant for those who'd like to see it.

Calanthe_sylvatica-10-1.jpg

Calanthe_sylvatica-10-3.jpg

Love the color on this one! The flowers also look quite different from the other Calanthes?

nice one dot. i had one that got huge and a bit unruly! it would have 4 and 5 spikes with maybe 1 or 2 little branches kindof like that.. i think its outside now!

Beautifully grown plant, I don't think I've seen anything like it.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice plant Dot and well photographed. Many Calanthe are evergreen and the pseudobulbs are small and subterranean - all of the Japanese natives are that way in fact. The deciduous species of southern Asia are a completely different group and in my opinion the two should be separated into their own genera.

Nice plant Dot and well photographed. Many Calanthe are evergreen and the pseudobulbs are small and subterranean - all of the Japanese natives are that way in fact. The deciduous species of southern Asia are a completely different group and in my opinion the two should be separated into their own genera.
I did not know that, Tom. I will have to do some research on the Japanese natives. I thought mine was a unique species among the deciduous genera -- shows my ignorance. As there are more like mine, I would certainly tend to agree they should be in their own genera.

Where's the nearest taxonomist?.......

I completely agree.

Latest posts

Back