Cahuzacara Lucerito de Oro ‘Bullion’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason the name suits it perfectly; and I love the colors. And the flowers are round, but without being flawless circles. Fantastic.

Guarianthe aurantiaca may contribute to spotting I suppose, but it really looks very much like the always spotted Bc. Richard Mueller parent (B. nodosa x C. milleri), which also accounts for the color-change flowers.

You are right PaphMadMan. I just took a look at some pictures of Bc. Richard Mueller. The plants of that grex bear spotted flowers. But I don't understand why they are spotted since B. nodosa and C. milleri are not. Genetics is sometimes so diffucult to undersand!

You are right PaphMadMan. I just took a look at some pictures of Bc. Richard Mueller. The plants of that grex bear spotted flowers. But I don't understand why they are spotted since B. nodosa and C. milleri are not. Genetics is sometimes so diffucult to undersand!

I think if you look at enough close-ups of Brassavola nodosa flowers you will see some clones have a little spotting in the throat, or from the side you may see spotting on the sides of the lip near the base, way back from the heart shaped end of the lip. And if you look at nodosa hybrids you will find a lot of spotted or otherwise patterned lips when the other parent has a solid color lip. The genes for spotting are there, just not evident in a flower where color is suppressed to give a white flower for nocturnal pollinators. When the other parent brings color into the mix the party starts.

I think if you look at enough close-ups of Brassavola nodosa flowers you will see some clones have a little spotting in the throat, or from the side you may see spotting on the sides of the lip near the base, way back from the heart shaped end of the lip. And if you look at nodosa hybrids you will find a lot of spotted or otherwise patterned lips when the other parent has a solid color lip. The genes for spotting are there, just not evident in a flower where color is suppressed to give a white flower for nocturnal pollinators. When the other parent brings color into the mix the party starts.

Thanks for the explanation!:)

Latest posts

Back