C. trianae var. semi-alba flamea 'Kathleen' CCE/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Original division from Jerry Fischer. This thing just grows and grows and blooms and blooms. It was divided in June, 2022 and already is about to fill the new pot. 10 flowers, 2 more spikes and 2 more leads now. It last bloomed with 8 flowers last January.
DrLeslieEe last bloom I had several sheaths that did not bloom, but bloomed this time. Does yours do that?3206B6C3-48B2-4B9A-A1F1-60594AD242E7.jpeg41CC2BC4-EA74-47BE-838E-C51952251836.jpeg5A8FA61B-10A2-483F-804D-3229C7868963.jpeg

Incredible display, congrats on the amazing growing and flowering! It's stunning!

Great SB!!! Beautiful blooming. If it was my plant, I have
a serious talk with the dorsals. ;>)
Oh Angela, these are not leaning back, they are curling back. I think these are cute!!! Seriously, it's never been awarded anything but a CCE, which clearly would not be that hard to get with this cultivar. So, I suspect its charm is in its proclivity to grow and bloom a lot. When @DrLeslieEe posted the photo of his spectacular plant here in late April/early May 2020. I fell in love with it and went on a search (since he's in Canada and I couldn't bribe a division out of him). No one I could find, but Jerry Fischer, had it and his was a division of the original. He said it needed dividing, so voila!! It's my most expensive plant, so thankfully it performs very well. Flower is not huge, but very pretty because of the splash (I'm a sucker for that), even though it probably won't be ever awarded on form, but the #s make it sensational. So at least, she works for her dinner.

Deb most graciously shared a part of her ‘Kathleen’ with me when she divided it several years ago. It is a great grower. The plant has its award status because of an outstanding grower named William Rogerson.

His AOS exhibitor record is amazing with 204 judging awards (dominated by Cattleyas), beginning in 1989 and continuing through December 2022. When you see a Cattleya cultivar name of Michael, Kathleen, Paul, or Claire it is a good guess that the grower and exhibitor is Rogerson. He has received both culture awards (e.g. trianae (semi-alba flamea) ‘Kathleen’) and FCCs (e.g. trianae ‘Cashen’s’).

Here is the award description when trianae ‘Kathleen’ was given its CCE in 2008. It will be difficult to match.

Twenty-four flowers and five buds plus six immature sheaths and two maturing seed capsules on an 18 growth plant 96 cm by 37 cm presented in a 25.4 cm (10 inch) pot.

Deb most graciously shared a part of her ‘Kathleen’ with me when she divided it several years ago. It is a great grower. The plant has its award status because of an outstanding grower named William Rogerson.

His AOS exhibitor record is amazing with 204 judging awards (dominated by Cattleyas), beginning in 1989 and continuing through December 2022. When you see a Cattleya cultivar name of Michael, Kathleen, Paul, or Claire it is a good guess that the grower and exhibitor is Rogerson. He has received both culture awards (e.g. trianae (semi-alba flamea) ‘Kathleen’) and FCCs (e.g. trianae ‘Cashen’s’).

Here is the award description when trianae ‘Kathleen’ was given its CCE in 2008. It will be difficult to match.

Twenty-four flowers and five buds plus six immature sheaths and two maturing seed capsules on an 18 growth plant 96 cm by 37 cm presented in a 25.4 cm (10 inch) pot.
Wow! Difficult indeed! But think of the potential in this plant!! I’d have to ck with Jerry, but if my memory serves (now that you mentioned it) he got it from Rogerson and Jerry’s tag says, “division of the original plant”. I don’t think I will ever achieve the size of the CCE already given, because of my space limitations. It’s in a 7.5” pot now and 8 or 9 is my limit. After division, it grows out of the pot in a little more than a year! Right now, it has 16 growths (plus 2 leads about 2” tall), 10 flowers and 2 immature sheaths.
By the way, I think the division I sent you was from last June!! Only time I’ve divided it, as I got it in May, 2020. I did repot it shortly after I got it and did upsize then. You recently commented on what a fantastic grower it is, as your division is doing the same thing growth wise and you were surprised. Is yours spiking?
Question:
I know a CCE or CCM stays with the grower, not with the plant, but would another CCE or CCM have to exceed the qualities of the previous one issued on the same plant, like an AM, etc.?

Last edited:
Wow! Difficult indeed! But think of the potential in this plant!! I’d have to ck with Jerry, but if my memory serves (now that you mentioned it) he got it from Rogerson and Jerry’s tag says, “division of the original plant”. I don’t think I will ever achieve the size of the CCE already given, because of my space limitations. It’s in a 7.5” pot now and 8 or 9 is my limit. After division, it grows out of the pot in a little more than a year! Right now, it has 16 growths (plus 2 leads about 2” tall), 10 flowers and 2 immature sheaths.
By the way, I think the division I sent you was from last June!! Only time I’ve divided it, as I got it in May, 2020. I did repot it shortly after I got it and did upsize then. You recently commented on what a fantastic grower it is, as your division is doing the same thing growth wise and you were surprised. Is yours spiking?
Question:
I know a CCE or CCM stays with the grower, not with the plant, but would another CCE or CCM have to exceed the qualities of the previous one issued on the same plant, like an AM, etc.?
The others who are judges will know, but my reading of the AOS manual indicates that since the award is given to the grower, and not the plant, that there could be multiple awards to different growers. You could get a CCM with a smaller plant than Rogerson's. I looked at the three AOS CCM awards given for trianae and they all still d 20+ flowers on the plant so we would probably need 10 blooming growths with 2 flowers each to be within reach. Leslie will know.

The others who are judges will know, but my reading of the AOS manual indicates that since the award is given to the grower, and not the plant, that there could be multiple awards to different growers. You could get a CCM with a smaller plant than Rogerson's. I looked at the three AOS CCM awards given for trianae and they all still d 20+ flowers on the plant so we would probably need 10 blooming growths with 2 flowers each to be within reach. Leslie will know.
There can be multiple cultural awards. While there is some consideration to the number of blooms I.E. If the plant is known to be floriferous yours should show that potential , however most of the focus is on how well the plant is grown, how well it displays I.E. flowers on all sides, well held etc.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back