Buying from Ecuagenera?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phrag andreetae. Oh, I know they have them, I was just hoping some would "just show up!" :p

As in the phrag fairy made some magically appear on my door step and, oh look, it just happens to be andreetae!!:clap::clap::clap:

As in the phrag fairy made some magically appear on my door step and, oh look, it just happens to be andreetae!!:clap::clap::clap:

Must be nice!:( My fairy is hard of hearing. I keep asking for my ship to come in and all she delivers is p**p.:eek:

My strategy for buying from Ecuagenera is to preorder plants that I want that have pseudobulbs, such as Lycastes, Maxillarias, etc. They seem to have a better chance of surviving the trip through customs. I then shop the selection of Pleurothalids at the show, selecting good looking plants and paying the higher show price on them.

I have had mixed results.Some of the finicky things I have gotten dont seem to like the shipping,and need a lot of babying when you get them.Then a couple of other things I have gotten didnt skip a beat.

Ive been away from here a while, but add my 2 cents. As mentioned, they sell an incredible variety but its not for everyone. I appreciate their business model and conservation efforts thru the reserves they own. I met Ivan a few years ago when we hosted a Mid America in Mason, OH. He was one of the friendliest, upbeat vendors ive ever worked with.

I have not put in any preorders from them in years. I decline to do so. If I get plants from them it will be only by inspecting the plants Ivan or whoever has at a show and checking for signs of severe desiccation or rot, depending on the season, by peeling back the newspaper typically smothering the root ball and lower part of the plant. Shaking the plant to see how many leaves fall off (if any) is also done as needed.

http://forum.theorchidsource.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/88811/Ecuagenera.html#Post88811

I have good experience with Ecuagenera. Bought a bunch of small plants from the recently (Lepanthes, Trisetella, Masdevallia) and the plants were in great condition. They packaged the plants really carefully and in small plastic boxes that prevented dessication om the delicate plants.

The general health and quality of their plants has gone up in recent years; many now actually have roots, and do well for me.

However, be aware their mislabeling is rampant and they have lied to me countless times about the availability of certain plants.

But their prices are quite low so if you order a bunch of stuff, most of it will probably live and most of it may be properly labeled.

hmmm .....
I'm having a hard time imagining that if their mislabeling is rampant, that most of it may be properly labeled.
I do agree that the overall quality/health of a plant has improved over the years.

Latest posts

Back