Buying from Ecuagenera?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
Anyone care to share recent (2010-2011) shopping experiences with Ecuagenera? I might have a chance to buy from them soon, and I don't have a clue what to order? Any suggestions?

Hi,

I think that they have a nice variety of Pleurothallidinae. But then again it is up to what order/genera/species interest you more... I have never bought anything from them, but I would if I were near them. Also I have never heard any complaints, although sometimes that the plants are smaller (in age) than expected...

Good luck...!

Yeah, I don't really know what I would buy from them. I like Angrecoids, Neofinetia, Phalaenopsis and species orchids, but I don't really see anything on their list that is jumping out at me.

I thought maybe someone would jump in and tell me that they had a plant I absolutely had to have. Something you can't get anywhere else, that isn't too huge, grows like a weed and blooms 395 days a year with once a month watering, low light and no fertilizer. :rollhappy:

I don't need any picky plants. They may not have anything for me.

Hi,

...although sometimes that the plants are smaller (in age) than expected... :):)

...!

I had a small preorder (good prices paid in usd) for a show in Germany in jan. A very nice large catt. dowiana, a very small soph. cocc., and a 2bulbed max.striata woth a new growth!!! Tha catt. is doing absol. fine, whereas the other 2 are struggling!

At their booth I bought diff. pleuros (small) for higher Euro prices :eek:!!!
So there seems to be a diff. price managment for preorders as for show selling !!!
Jean

I bought many masdevallias from them and always got good quality plants. Some plants, like phrags, are more difficult to buy because of international regulations and the paperwork involved, but that's not their fault.

There is a huge price savings by preordering. You have to roll all your expenses into the plants at shows. All the dutie costs, transport, hotel all that stuff gets added to those plants. So, I would pre order for sure.

The majority of plants are big and healthy with good roots. Once in a while a plants arrives not in great shape, but I think that is the exception not the rule. They are good about standing behind thier plants.

Kyle

Only one negative comment. If the plants have been through several shows sometimes they are too far gone to thrive without alot of loving care. Other than that, I've made some good purchases from them. Very nice phrags, a little on the small side, but good color in the blooms. If you want anything rare they probably have it.

Keep in mind any imported plants will have a certain percentage of death rate. I know myself and others will always lose some just due to the stress of travel, change in climate and re-acclimation to your growing area. Pre-orders are great as long as your able to see the plants in person or have a friend inspect them for you. And then plan on some of them not making it anyway.... I've purchased from Ecuagenera (last year), but I don't think they were there at the S.F. show this year??

On the Orchidmall, Lee Brendenson had some stuff for sale that he just picked up from them, otherwise look thru their catalog. I got some nice phrags, besseae and hanne popow, but not thru pre-order.

I talked to them at an orchid show about specific plants (phrags) that weren't on their table and they showed up a few months later. Phrag longifolium, schlimii, fischeri, pearcii and hirtzii and all were nice plants.

Yeah, they just showed up.....and I paid for them. They show up at a lot of the big shows and are pretty generous with those that support them. They do have Phrag andreetae but it is a pricy one.....

I have to agree with Hera that some show plants need better care in shipping. I got some plants (pre-order) at one show as they were rare, and half failed due to poor shipping to the show.

Ivan from Ecuagenera has been a regular vendor for Oregon Orchid Society for the last few years. As far as I know, his stop to Oregon is either the very first one in the U.S. or the only stop. That being said, he brought TONs of plants for the show in May. Those ALL unsold plants were purchased by two of the members with very very generous price, I hear. He took no plants home with him.

They just showed up! :eek: !!!
Hell, next time I see them I'll just ask about Phrag andreetae!

Yes, he had it.

As far as the quality of the plants, I hear great things about it. Unfortunately, since his plants are not my 'kind' of plants, I never bought anything from him.

Ecuagenera comes to our show in Calgary and they also attend the Edmonton show as well. I've got several of their plants and have been happy with them, although the Cattleya intermedia alba x aquini that I bought from them in Edmonton in February is not too happy with me. I'll bet it didn't like the long trip from Ecuador to Canada. Ivan is a great guy to talk to; so is Kyle, but I haven't seen him at any of our shows for a while.:poke:

I have a longifolium that looks alive for about 60 days.
The rest of the time, grows about the same as a fake plastic plant.

Cost- shipping.
Can ship this Monday.

Latest posts

Back