bulbophyllum makoyanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
hey guys

i just got a beautiful two-pseudobulb division of this cute plant; the flowers just withered away yesterday. the AOS judges at my society tell me that they are the easiest bulbophyllum for beginners to grow and they they bloom easily too

they said that windowsill will be fine and that they like to wet-dry quickly. they suggest open mix or mounting. currently they are in leca without reservoir--thatz as open as i can get them. they also said that having lower humidity shouldnt be that big of a factor for this particular of species.

i'm just wondering how do all grow your makoyanums?

thanks Ron, anyone else gonna chip in and help me out?

PS: does each pseudobulb only produce one spike?

I haven't tried this species myself, but allot of my Bulbo species bloom multiple times from the base of the same bulb or the rhizome between the bulbs in successive blooming seasons.

Just looking up the habitat info on makoyanum says it comes from lowland forest in Malaysia/Borneo/Philippines.

Jay's site says its an easy grower/bloomer, but it comes from conditions of perpetual hot and muggy. It doesn't need much light, but if you run AC and keep your indoor temps around 70 you might get some disappointing growth out of it. You will probably need a South facing window, and don't be afraid to water.

thanks Rick thatz definitely helpful. i am currently actually growing it on the sill of a due south window =) hot and muggy eh? sounds like death for us humans, haha!!!

I don't have makoyanum but I have lepidum and cercanthum, 2 similar species. I grow mine mounted on driftwood, hung in a shady, moist area.. Cercanthum has yet to bloom but lepidum can produce up to 4 spikes per bulb... Good luck growing! :)

I don't have makoyanum but I have lepidum and cercanthum, 2 similar species. I grow mine mounted on driftwood, hung in a shady, moist area.. Cercanthum has yet to bloom but lepidum can produce up to 4 spikes per bulb... Good luck growing! :)

Isn't the night lows at your place about 80F in the winter?:poke::poke:

I can't add anything different from what's already been said. Mine is mounted on cork, so it dries between waterings & is in a medium light area.

Latest posts

Back