Bulbo species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
With my equipment it is difficult to get a decent close-up. This is the best I can do. 7" spike with a terminal 3/4" cluster of very small flowers.

P7120044.jpg

P7120047.jpg

Dot, ya think, LOL...They got me hooked :D
I see that!:)

I can see why someone would want to have every one they could get their hands on. They are so varied in size, shape, color, fragrance, etc., but they are generally so short-lived that you need to have a large collection to really get a feel for them and enjoy them. For me, I mostly am enjoying them in other people's collections -- especially yours and Bill Porter's.

Wow, you hide it so well...:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:
:D I try my best to hide it, I just wish it wasn't such a large genus, if I aim for each Bulbo, I would need 3 greenhouses at least. I am happy that I have all the species for one genus though....Dyakia :rollhappy: I have 9 new Bulbos arriving this week! By the time the winter rolls around, I should be over 200 Bulbo species in my collection.

There is a Floridian that does Bulbo crosses but, at least at this point, I am sticking to species. I can hardly see these flowers, I would need a magnifying glass to try and gather pollen on this minute flower. There are a couple of the larger ones in my collection that it may be worthwhile to do crosses on.

There is a Floridian that does Bulbo crosses but, at least at this point, I am sticking to species. I can hardly see these flowers, I would need a magnifying glass to try and gather pollen on this minute flower. There are a couple of the larger ones in my collection that it may be worthwhile to do crosses on.

I admit, a good deal of Bulbos aren't likely to produce exciting hybrids. The B. Tsiku Taurus I just posted, for example, is a bit interesting, but not any more so than the species of which it is comprised, in my view.

There are some worthwhile possibilities, though, even besides the larger-flowered ones. I've got a mature, nice fat pod on a Bulb. longissimum var. collettii, crossed with B. barbigerum 'Elizabeth'. I'm very much looking forward to that one. I had to pollinate it with tweezers, a loupe, and a magnifying glass in addition.

I admit, a good deal of Bulbos aren't likely to produce exciting hybrids...

That's interesting to know...the only Bulbophyllum I have is Bulbo Eed (annandalei x longissimum)...it'll probably be a total freak...:rollhappy:

I could easily become addicted to collecting the things...they are so unusual...

I admit, a good deal of Bulbos aren't likely to produce exciting hybrids. The B. Tsiku Taurus I just posted, for example, is a bit interesting, but not any more so than the species of which it is comprised, in my view.

There are some worthwhile possibilities, though, even besides the larger-flowered ones. I've got a mature, nice fat pod on a Bulb. longissimum var. collettii, crossed with B. barbigerum 'Elizabeth'. I'm very much looking forward to that one. I had to pollinate it with tweezers, a loupe, and a magnifying glass in addition.
That should be interesting If it get's the "feathers" of barbigerum on long flowers...it will be something. Save me a couple of seedling please

Latest posts

Back