Bulbo spathulatus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
This one is pretty weird and hard for me to get pics that make the detail understandable. The bud look kind of like pinecones, but the flowers when open are kind of like stacked flat blades (spatulas I guess!). The whole umbel reminds me of some pile of dying shelf fungus in a way, all black and moldy. It smells like moldy bread too. I think the flower color depends on light level. This dark flower is on the side facing away from the light, while on the sunny facing side, the flowers are smaller and reddish brown (more like the pics on Jay's site).

Enjoy.

Dorsal view

front view

Here's a pic of the flowering growth Eric. We're in the middle of a tornado warning to get any more pics.

The plant is a real rambler with 3-4" between growths. I made a sort of hydro log, which the plant really hasn't rooted to yet ( I got the pieces from Bob Fallon this past summer). I thought the buds were new growths, but I was surprised when they started spreading out into flowers instead of leaves. I think I need to move it to a darker spot in the GH.

Cool!!! It is called Rhythionanthos now?

yes L.A.Garay, F.Hamer & E.S.Siegerist created this genus out of Bulbophyllum in 1994.

But I believe the plant has been known to science for 100 years as a Bulbo, so if you tried to look it up you might have problems with Rhythionanthos.

OK! TY Rick..!! I am not that into names, but I just wanted to see if it is the same or something else, as I have seen it with Rhythionanthos on ebay and I have thought of giving it a try...:D

OK! TY Rick..!! I am not that into names, but I just wanted to see if it is the same or something else, as I have seen it with Rhythionanthos on ebay and I have thought of giving it a try...:D

I haven't put much effort into this plant yet to see blooming, so I think you should try it.

Latest posts

Back