Bulbo bandishii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
I got this division from Mark in Memphis a year or so ago.

Grows great. It's a division of "Wolfgang's Gift" which received a CBR in the mid 90's for Marylin LeDeaux. Mark probably got his piece from Jo Levey, and I don't know how far pieces of this plant have been distributed since it was imported. The only awards to this species is that original CBR, so if it has good blooms on it by next weekend I'm going to take it in to the judges, and then breed it.

Very interesting species. Flowers look huge! :D

It's a pretty nice size flower. The sepal length is about 9 cm. If the dorsal sepal stood up straight then the flower would be 17 or so cm tall.

Like the rest of this subgenera (hyalosema), the petals are tiny and hair like with little balls on the tips. I couldn't get the in the picture.

Last flower of the season

I've seen a few pics of bandishii flowers in this form with the dorsal sepal laid back. I thought they were posed photos, but this is the second flower of the 8 or so blooms this season that did this. The ovary actually twisted upward so the flower is almost horizontal and the dorsal flops back. The only award on this plant is for a 17 cm flower which is for a tipped back flower like this. This is also the biggest flower of the bunch with a dorsal sepal that is 15 cm! The laterals are 9 cm.

.. The only award on this plant is for a 17 cm flower which is for a tipped back flower like this. This is also the biggest flower of the bunch with a dorsal sepal that is 15 cm! The laterals are 9 cm.

So an award would be sure for this one!!!? Jean

So an award would be sure for this one!!!? Jean

I totally blew it Jean:mad:

Atlanta Judging center is 2nd Saturday of each month. On the 5th of October I thought I was coming up on the 1st Sat instead of the 2nd and the flower was full open. This flower only lasts maybe 5 days max so I didn't think it would make it till next weekend. So I selfed the flower (which would disqualify it from judging).

Then I looked at the calender 2 days later to find that this weekend was the 2nd Saturday after all:eek:

It's not putting up any more spikes, so I think its done blooming for the time being, but hopefully I'll get a good seed pod going.:wink:

I totally blew it Jean:mad:

Atlanta Judging center is 2nd Saturday of each month. On the 5th of October I thought I was coming up on the 1st Sat instead of the 2nd and the flower was full open. This flower only lasts maybe 5 days max so I didn't think it would make it till next weekend. So I selfed the flower (which would disqualify it from judging).

Then I looked at the calender 2 days later to find that this weekend was the 2nd Saturday after all:eek:

It's not putting up any more spikes, so I think its done blooming for the time being, but hopefully I'll get a good seed pod going.:wink:

too bad; but seed ... , and then next year!!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back