Brown Spots on Paph. Roth leaves! Please help!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Cohen

Reaction score

HELP! My Rothschilde-Phillipinense is in a death spiral!
I recently repotted my Paph Roth in fresh medium: the same medium it has been thriving in for years. It soon developed ugly brown spots on its new leaf, which also spread to other leaves. Can anyone tell me what's happening here, and what I should do about it? I've been nurturing this plant for years and don't want to lose it!
Potting medium is the same as previously: fine-grade bark chips from repotme.
Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1
I have already experienced that pathogens can enter the plant through the roots. In this case I strongly assume that the substrate is contaminated with something because it occurred directly after repotting.

You urgently need other rescue measures for the already damaged and infected tissue but I have little experience of this (so far). Others should advise you on which agents work best.

My first suggestion, which most people ignore because they only focus on the visible infections: Take new substrate and sterilize it (e.g. in the oven at 180°C for 45 minutes). Then place the plant in it. To do this moisten the substrate well or place it in an open container with water so that the resulting water vapor can contain its effect. Please make sure that there is nothing highly flammable in the substrate. I use coconut chips so there is no problem but there are people who use other things.

Any germs that may be present in the substrate can certainly also be reduced with other agents but this is the simplest method on this front. If there is nothing left in the substrate the plant may be able to help itself and other aids will have a better supporting effect.

I have already experienced that pathogens can enter the plant through the roots. In this case I strongly assume that the substrate is contaminated with something because it occurred directly after repotting.

You urgently need other rescue measures for the already damaged and infected tissue but I have little experience of this (so far). Others should advise you on which agents work best.

My first suggestion, which most people ignore because they only focus on the visible infections: Take new substrate and sterilize it (e.g. in the oven at 180°C for 45 minutes). Then place the plant in it. To do this moisten the substrate well or place it in an open container with water so that the resulting water vapor can contain its effect. Please make sure that there is nothing highly flammable in the substrate. I use coconut chips so there is no problem but there are people who use other things.

Any germs that may be present in the substrate can certainly also be reduced with other agents but this is the simplest method on this front. If there is nothing left in the substrate the plant may be able to help itself and other aids will have a better supporting effect.
Thank you. I will try that.

HELP! My Rothschilde-Phillipinense is in a death spiral!
I recently repotted my Paph Roth in fresh medium: the same medium it has been thriving in for years. It soon developed ugly brown spots on its new leaf, which also spread to other leaves. Can anyone tell me what's happening here, and what I should do about it? I've been nurturing this plant for years and don't want to lose it!
Potting medium is the same as previously: fine-grade bark chips from repotme.
Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.
The last photo shows what I would diagnose as erwinia on the older lower leaf. If that is infection, any of the affected surface can easily transit the infection to other parts of the plant as well as to other plants.

Look for articles from sue bottom, at STAUG for diagnosis and treatment. If it is erwinia, time is of the essence.

Agree with repotting in sterilized new medium. I would also soak the whole plant, bare root, in Physan solution. If you can get the “dragon’s blood” (make sure it’s the real stuff; I like the one with the blue/white label), it works wonders dabbed onto the visible infection and even droppered down into the crown. Important isolate the plant as best you can, too, and you’ll want to use bleach solution on all surfaces touched by then plant, pot, to be safe.

If you’re familiar with FirstRays.com, Ray is a bigtime contributor to this forum and his options work wonders too. Once you’ve treated your plant for the disease, if you can spray the plant or even soak it in his KelPak seaweed auxin stuff, and then water it with his probiotic potion, these are just great products and will give you optimal chance of saving it.

As BrucherT wrote about blech solution: I also soak the pot (without plant/substrate) in a ~10-20% solution of sodium hypochlorite. In Germany the product is called "Danklorix" (from the supermarket) for 15 minutes. It is household bleach without any other additives (no fragrances). Incidentally it can also be used to sterilize seeds for asymbiotic sowing.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts. I just got home from a grip but will get on this right away. Damage doesn't seem to be continuing to spread, but rather has gotten more pronounced on the areas that were infected when I left. I will work on this.
Very much appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back