Brown areas on Phragmipedium besseae leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the original question in the Original Post. ;) (don't want to go down the side trails)

As others said, I wouldn't worry, too much. Your plant is big enough it should recover. However the way the leaves roll at the edges says to me the plant is stressed. Good news is you repotted.

Often bacterial infections hit old bug bites. So your BIG problem is MEALY BUGS. Kill those bastards off completely. Don't stop until you have sprayed every plant at least twice at the (manufacturer recommended) interval for the product you are spraying. Be sure to keep at it. If your bug spray says every 7 to 10 days, then you need to spray every thing every 7 to 10 days. Don't stop until you have sprayed everything at least once or twice after the last living mealy bug was spotted in your collection. If you don't kill them off completely then they will come back, and the ones that do will be resistant to your bug spray.

The spots are secondary, the bugs are the primary cause. I will see similar from spider mite damage, look at those too.

The rolled leaves makes me wonder about your humidity, or enough water, or high temperatures or something is stressing the plant. The leaves in a 'happy besseae' will be fairly flat with little rolling. You might just need more roots, can't tell over the internet.

I would just put the plant back in the spot it grows best in. It will recover better there. You are treating all the plants in the collection for mealies, often where we isolate plants the growing conditions are less than ideal and actually make problems worse.

Also look at air movement. Spider mites, bacterial and fungal infections, and other problems are easier to control with good air movement. Good air movement helps with getting better roots.

Hope this helps.

Definitely will, we'll be getting the Orthene this week and do it at least thrice.

The best way to get rid of mealys is to physically remove them with a paper towel soaked in alcohol. Nothing is more satisfying than watching them suffer as you torture and then crush them in revenge for the damage they have done to your plants. :mad: After that i use a spray solution of water, alcohol, Dr. Browns violet oil, Neem and Merit 75, (always pre/post-spray leaves with water as the oils can stay on the leaves and the plants can dry out in the sun). Repeat after 2 weeks to kill any that come from eggs or survivors.

Eric, that sounds like a ton of trouble when one drench of Orthene will do
the dirty deed. On the other hand, one has to live with the smell of Orthene for a couple of days. I like to drag out the Big Guns early!

My solution is mostly natural but the Merit 75 packs the Bhopal style punch! I will put my solution against yours any day! :)

I am sure that blanket spraying all your plants might lead to an interesting living environment. Especially those plants on the stove and dining room table!:p

I am sure that blanket spraying all your plants might lead to an interesting living environment. Especially those plants on the stove and dining room table!:p

We don't blanket spray, we surgically strike, that Merit is dangerous stuff, I hold my breath when I add it to my solution!

Mostly natural? With Merit?

Water, Alcohol, Violet soap, and Neem are mostly natural. :)

Is Merit 75 imadicloprid ( terrible spelling I know)? If so, I'm not impressed. I tried imad. on my roses for aphids and Japanese Beetles and
it didn't work very well at all.

...that Merit is dangerous stuff, I hold my breath when I add it to my solution!

actually, the Merit (Imidacloprid) is reported to have very low mammalian toxicity and, and i'm just guessing here, but i'll guess you're a mammal just like me so....
:rollhappy:
that is not to say that i would advise you to be reckless while preparing or using any pesticide.
(i think imidacloprid is in the pesticide for dogs called Frontline)

*edit*
well, i just checked and i'm wrong, it's not in Frontline but it is one of the ingredients in K9 Advantix, Advantage, and a few others

Last edited:
very true, Erythrone
i forget which pesticide it is, but in {at least} one, it was the carrier and not the actual pesticide that was killing pests

that word just kinda sticks in my head
:crazy:
sometimes the petroleum products that are used as carriers in pesticides can cause phytotoxicity too

Latest posts

Back