Brown areas on Phragmipedium besseae leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK. Take the best care of it you can.

Working on it, thanks. All input is good input. The plant seems to be stable...

Is it not possibly viral?

Definitely not.

I seriously doubt it's viral; I haven't seen it on YouTube :drool:

Errrrr...Durr..durr... It's a PUN!

looks like bacterial spots to me. Here, I cut the parts and put cinnamom on the cuts. It works very well :D

Did that when I repotted. Well, at least, tried to. The cinnamon wouldn't stick...

I agree. When I see those kind of spots, I do ... nothing unless the patch is enlarging quickly and unless it has a wet look. I sometimes remove a very bad leaf.

This plant has similar symtoms as yours under some leaves... It was a few months ago and it is still growing and it will bloom again soon

8420233707_ae6c2ba4a4_z.jpg
[/url]
Phragmipedium Evening Blaze_web par Erythrone2, sur Flickr

They did have a bit of a wet look. Also, gorgeous plant. Seems to have taken my thread over, but that's not a bad thing. Not in the slightest.

I have had those "spots" also. It was done to leaving the plant out in the cold over night, wet. Mine was not bacterial but more along the lines of cells breaking down. I moved it inside and allowed the plants to dry out and the spots dried up. Bacterial rots will become mushy and brown in color 99% of the time.

I would watch it next time to see what happens.

I have had those "spots" also. It was done to leaving the plant out in the cold over night, wet. Mine was not bacterial but more along the lines of cells breaking down. I moved it inside and allowed the plants to dry out and the spots dried up. Bacterial rots will become mushy and brown in color 99% of the time.

I would watch it next time to see what happens.

The plant had been inside the entire time. However, I do practice the "tray of water" technique, but I would think besseae wouldn't find this a problem...

Personally speaking, besseae and its hybrids can be notorious for problems with rot due to humidity if they aren't getting very high volumes of air flow. I grow in circulating trays of water and have fans and open windows to help reduce problems. Instead of cinnamon if you can get some Captan 50 for cut edges it would help.

Native Americans had (have) to fight for their passports in the USA. In the beginning of the USA as such, some thought they were not fully humans at all.

Nothing to be sacred of, Trithor, most of the countries I have lived in have the same sad history. Just am scared if things happen again...

Would be happy owning such a beautiful Phrag, btw! Mine have brown marks on the underside since they were sent to me last november with freezing temperatures. But the plant didn't resent it, it is about to flower in a couple of weeks. Cannot post a pic of the leaves as I have no camera in the moment. But I agree, Phrags are very strong growing plants, just lots of (good) water, ample ventilation and they are happy!

These are not wet spots. And it was many months ago and the plant is still very strong. And sorry for taken you thread over. I will not do it again.

That would seem to be the case; more below. And please! Stay as long as you want, you are my guest.

First USA citizens were Native Americans.

I thought that defined the term..? Meanwhile it looks like you were completely correct and I overreacted. This morning, it seems like the 'symptoms' were showing themselves again, but I waited this time and sure enough they were gone by the afternoon. Boy have I learned my lesson! :eek:

So, I probably stressed the crap out of the plant, and, moreover, now it feels like I've wasted all of you people's time... Sorry. Thankfully, the plant still seems to be growing at a decent rate.

Back to the original question in the Original Post. ;) (don't want to go down the side trails)

As others said, I wouldn't worry, too much. Your plant is big enough it should recover. However the way the leaves roll at the edges says to me the plant is stressed. Good news is you repotted.

Often bacterial infections hit old bug bites. So your BIG problem is MEALY BUGS. Kill those bastards off completely. Don't stop until you have sprayed every plant at least twice at the (manufacturer recommended) interval for the product you are spraying. Be sure to keep at it. If your bug spray says every 7 to 10 days, then you need to spray every thing every 7 to 10 days. Don't stop until you have sprayed everything at least once or twice after the last living mealy bug was spotted in your collection. If you don't kill them off completely then they will come back, and the ones that do will be resistant to your bug spray.

The spots are secondary, the bugs are the primary cause. I will see similar from spider mite damage, look at those too.

The rolled leaves makes me wonder about your humidity, or enough water, or high temperatures or something is stressing the plant. The leaves in a 'happy besseae' will be fairly flat with little rolling. You might just need more roots, can't tell over the internet.

I would just put the plant back in the spot it grows best in. It will recover better there. You are treating all the plants in the collection for mealies, often where we isolate plants the growing conditions are less than ideal and actually make problems worse.

Also look at air movement. Spider mites, bacterial and fungal infections, and other problems are easier to control with good air movement. Good air movement helps with getting better roots.

Hope this helps.

Are Phrags. sensitive to Cleary's and/or Orthene 97%? I don't have any
Phrags, but have been considering a couple. I keep both Cleary's and
Orthene in pump sprayers in my gh handy at all times.

Back to the original question in the Original Post. ;) (don't want to go down the side trails)

As others said, I wouldn't worry, too much. Your plant is big enough it should recover. However the way the leaves roll at the edges says to me the plant is stressed. Good news is you repotted.

Often bacterial infections hit old bug bites. So your BIG problem is MEALY BUGS. Kill those bastards off completely. Don't stop until you have sprayed every plant at least twice at the (manufacturer recommended) interval for the product you are spraying. Be sure to keep at it. If your bug spray says every 7 to 10 days, then you need to spray every thing every 7 to 10 days. Don't stop until you have sprayed everything at least once or twice after the last living mealy bug was spotted in your collection. If you don't kill them off completely then they will come back, and the ones that do will be resistant to your bug spray.

The spots are secondary, the bugs are the primary cause. I will see similar from spider mite damage, look at those too.

The rolled leaves makes me wonder about your humidity, or enough water, or high temperatures or something is stressing the plant. The leaves in a 'happy besseae' will be fairly flat with little rolling. You might just need more roots, can't tell over the internet.

I would just put the plant back in the spot it grows best in. It will recover better there. You are treating all the plants in the collection for mealies, often where we isolate plants the growing conditions are less than ideal and actually make problems worse.

Also look at air movement. Spider mites, bacterial and fungal infections, and other problems are easier to control with good air movement. Good air movement helps with getting better roots.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Leo, sound advice as always. I am always amazed how air circulation is overlooked as factor required for a healthy growing environment. I think we all know about it, and often talk about it, but I wonder how many of us have sub-optimal air movement. I know I certainly do. Threads like this encourage me to go buy a couple more fans on Monday, rather than just 'tweeking' the couple that are working (overtime) at the moment.

Latest posts

Back