Brown areas on Phragmipedium besseae leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ghosthunt64

So, I've had this Phragmipedium besseae 'Big Bob' x 'Colossal' for a while now and it has recently taken off in light of the fact that I'm actually taking care of it now. This plant has had these brown spots for a while but I had always assumed that it was simple mechanical damage. Now, though, they appear to have become a little soft & sticky. I'm going to assume that whatever it is, the prescription will be "chop off the parts that are doing that, sterilize the wound, and see what happens," but I'd still like a second opinion...

Yz14Rmel.jpg

AwBokF2l.jpg

uQvAF50l.jpg

Q859BrOl.jpg

I'm not one that's to good at telling by pic what the issue is, I would heat up(each cut) some scissors and chop the parts in question off.

Difficult to tell from a picture showing a leaf at a time. But those pale luscent areas are very worrying, they normally indicate cell damage from infection. Do you have any pictures of the leaf undersides? In the interim, I would isolate the plant.

quite common, this happens with besseae when the plant is stressed (change your culture, maybe not enough water?)..usually doesnt go very far as besseae seems to have good counter measures (much better than paphs), ..I would just cut the affected region

I'm not one that's to good at telling by pic what the issue is, I would heat up(each cut) some scissors and chop the parts in question off.

I plan on doing that as well as repotting it later today.

Difficult to tell from a picture showing a leaf at a time. But those pale luscent areas are very worrying, they normally indicate cell damage from infection. Do you have any pictures of the leaf undersides? In the interim, I would isolate the plant.

FxSz7oHl.jpg

I isolated the plant as soon as I noticed the problem.

I would just cut the affected parts off and seal the wounds with wood glue. Keep the plant wet ( not damp ) and go easy on the fertilizer. Phrags are not big feeders and they show too much fert is being given by the drying and browning of leaf tips.

Ed

I would just cut the affected parts off and seal the wounds with wood glue. Keep the plant wet ( not damp ) and go easy on the fertilizer. Phrags are not big feeders and they show too much fert is being given by the drying and browning of leaf tips.

Ed

Thanks, I've done as said and repotted it while I was at it. I'm keeping it isolated, just to be safe. Will keep you posted.

Those are not a real problem.

What do you think they are? (I mean that in all seriousness) I only have a few phrags, and have never managed to grow them well. I have always found them to be very prone to rots in my conditions (obviously far from ideal conditions)

It's not in the crown and is therefore exposed to air. Phrags mostly rot fatally from the crown out. Honestly some of the damage looks like a former scale or dirt issue.

The leaves should sizzle when you cut it to seal it.

They did.

It's not in the crown and is therefore exposed to air. Phrags mostly rot fatally from the crown out. Honestly some of the damage looks like a former scale or dirt issue.

I still removed the tissue exhibiting the symptoms just to be safe. I do have a slight mealybug problem, but we're getting that sorted out. Perhaps that was it?

looks like bacterial spots to me. Here, I cut the parts and put cinnamom on the cuts. It works very well :D

Those are not a real problem.

I agree. When I see those kind of spots, I do ... nothing unless the patch is enlarging quickly and unless it has a wet look. I sometimes remove a very bad leaf.

This plant has similar symtoms as yours under some leaves... It was a few months ago and it is still growing and it will bloom again soon

8420233707_ae6c2ba4a4_z.jpg
[/url]
Phragmipedium Evening Blaze_web par Erythrone2, sur Flickr

Back