• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

broker for importing into the u.s.?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this might not be the right forum, but for importing orchids into the u.s., is it necessary to have a broker to move the plants around at the import and inspection station? and if so, does anyone have someone they know who is a broker who I could use for an upcoming orchid import from australia?
thanks
charles

If you ship the plants through the mail (USPS) yo don't need a customs broker.

If you ship by any other method you are going to need someone to get the release from US customs.
If the value is under $2000 you can do the customs release yourself but if it is over $2000 you must have a licensed Customs broker process the import.

The absolute best and fastest way is to ship through the mail.

I used a broker because I could not spend 2 or 3 days traveling to and from S.F. to move plants through the inspection process. The ag. facility is located away from the airport, so all ag shipments needed to be transferred etc. it was well worth the money to have a broker deal with all that for me.

How do you do this if its coming from another country?!:confused:

The USPS interfaces with the Postal services of other countries. So the person sending you the plants just puts them in their mail, preferable Express Mail. When you get a plant import permit here in the USA the USDA gives you some stickers the exported puts on the package. When the USPS sees these stickers they automatically move the package to APHIS for inspection. Assuming the plants are legal and pest free they are released and APHIS returns them to the USPS for mail deliver to you. There is no extra charge for these services over the simple cost of postage. And believe it or not the USPS and APHIS move very quickly to process the importation and inspection.
This is one of the best deals you will ever get from the USPS.

On the other hand if you ship using a common carrier like FedEx, UPS or an airline the package must be moved from the airline to Customs and then to APHIS and then back to the airlines and then you can pick it up or have it delivered to you. Usually all of this logistics is beyond the capacity of the normal person and mistakes can cause huge problems. So hire a broker and pay them a couple hundred bucks for the paper work and hope the actual moves don't cost very much. But now that Homeland Security is in charge they can and do arbitrarily call for a special inspection that will cost you a lot of money extra. :mad:

candace, how did you go about getting a broker or how did include them in the import process?
(and how much did it cost)

This was like 10 years ago, so I'd have to dig through paperwork to find out the cost. I don't remember off-hand. I think at the time I just googled importing brokers in the S.F. area. The broker I chose had never imported orchids before, but I believe I felt comfortable with him because he'd done other plants. Mainly, it was a personal thing. I felt he was trustworthy and professional. If you can get a recommendation for someone in your area, that would be the best route. I didn't have any personal recommendations, so just went with my gut. And it worked out fine.

You should also know the risks of importing plants from other countries. After all the expense and trouble, the plants will either be destroyed or sent back if there are any signs of fungus or pests. Happened to a friend of mine who lost hundreds of dollars due to fungus on a plant.
Also insure that you have accurate paperwork, and that the vendor does everything right!

Pete

I talked with the vendor and they use the national postal system, and the u.s. postal system will pick the box up at the airport and do the inspection system switcheroo. They said they've never had a problem sending bulbs to the u.s., so it sounds good all around

they are interesting plants; just that availability is seemingly very low. asuka orchids has pterostylis orchids, which is where I first had access to australian terrestrials

Charles, I have imported several times - even when I have been the exporter, when on international business trips (pre-CITES) - and the EMS-USPS/APHIS flow is quite seamless and efficient.

If you've found a reputable and experienced shipper, you should have no issues.

If you've found a reputable and experienced shipper, you should have no issues.

Yes, the shipper is reputable, thanx.

It's nice to see someone in the US taking an interest in these plants.

Many people here are interested, unfortunately these plants are almost never available here. The putting together of the order is somewhat of a hassle also. Thanx Charles.

Many people here are interested, unfortunately these plants are almost never available here. The putting together of the order is somewhat of a hassle also. Thanx Charles.

welcome! I'm learning how to expand my level of enablability! :rollhappy:
the hard part is getting a few of each thing without going broke :(

If you want to do this on the up and up - and you should because it is easy and keeps everyone out of trouble, apply for an import permit. You can do it online and you will get the materials in only a week or so. Your exporter must use the yellow and green sticker you will receive to route the box to the inspection station. When using the postal service once customs clears the box they call the inspection station at Jamaica Plains (a couple of blocks away). They pick up the box and inspect it, then they drive it back over to customs for the final clearance. The post office picks up from customs in the afternoons and ships on to you.

Living in New York makes this really easy since they get a lot of plants and move them quickly. I have never had even a tiny problem with shipments large or small.

For those who live in an area where your plants will not come into Jamaica Plains you may have difficulty since some of the inspection stations are not at all interested in processing plants. Jamaica Plains folks are very nice and are happy to speak to you if you just call them up with a question. I have tried that in Miami with an entirely different outcome!!

Ron

I mailed in my permit application; when I tried to file for the permit online, part of the steps was to take the information I had collected after the online part, and go to a usda satellite station office and then verify that I am who I say I am... I printed out the online copy and mailed it in. still waiting for the permits to come back so we can finalize the order

Latest posts

Back