British DVDs/A Year at Kew

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
A couple questions: Why is it that British DVDs cannot be played in North America? What is the difference? Do you need a special player? Can they still be played in computer, but just not in a standard DVD player?

Specifically, I am looking for the production 'A Year at Kew'. I only saw part of it, and it looks really good, and am looking for the box set. I thought I saw it on PBS a few years ago, but now I can't find it on their web site. I thought that if I had seen it on T.V. here, then it must be available on DVD for use in Canada - does that make sense? All I've been able to find says that they will not be able to be played in U.S.A., Canada, Europe, and other countries.

Hello,

I think it has to do with compatibility of analog television systems: PAL (mainly Europe) vs NTSC (America and others). But seeing your plast sentence, then I might be wrong...! Matbe copywrite issues??

Different broadcasting standards here in Canada and most of North America. It will eventually be coded for the NTSC standard and then we'll be able to see it. It has nothing to do with analog or digital. It's been that way for a very long time.

Has anyone seen 'A Year at Kew' outside the U.K.? If so, how and where? I know I saw the first season on T.V. here, but can't remember on what channel. Probably P.B.S., but I can't find it listed on their site. If an American or Canadian station can broadcast a B.B.C. production, then why can't we buy it on DVD?

Also, are computer DVD drives different than DVD players in this regard? Could I play British DVDs on my computer?

or you buy a DVD Player which can playall zones... they are available in the market, and currently not too expensive anymore.... :)

Latest posts

Back