Breeding with phrag andreetae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few months ago there was brief discussion about using phrag andreetae in hybridizing; mention was that it likely wouldn't be used because it had funny shape. A while back, nyeric loaned me his new phrag book by Olaf Gruss and I saw some pictures of hybrids made with phrag andreetae. Rather than have funny shape, they looked generally okay (though the editor would have chosen the best pictures of course :) ) but the most redeeming quality I saw over most of the other phrag hybrids pictured in the book (and there were many excellent hybrids pictured) was that andreetae seems to have the quality of softly blending the colors of the parents together in a most pleasing way.

I took pictures of the andreetae hybrids that Olaf had included in his book. Keep in mind that these are pictures of printed pictures in a book, and there is glare. Some of the colors may not be exactly like in the book, but also some of the colors in the book may not be as exactly in sunlight.

pandreethyb1.JPG

picture by Eric Young Orchid Foundation

pandreethyb2.JPG

ditto

pandreethyb3.JPG

picture by our eteson

pandreethyb4.JPG

ditto

pandreethyb5.JPG

didn't seem to get the photographer of this one

I think I increased the visual contrast of the final images over how the original prints looked; colors were more smoothly blended together.

thoughts? comments?

I'd be happy with one of each! I don't understand that andreettae has a funny shape. Just because it's not besseae...

Interesting photos! FYI - We just added a new Phrag. andreettae hybrid to the Fox Valley website this morning. I think the combination of the primarily green Praying Mantis with it's 18cm+ natural spread, and the pale pink andreettae's ability to smooth color, will produce some interesting colors and flower shapes.

Last edited:
Looks like andreettae is going to be making some wonderful hybrids.

I am more excited now about a couple seed pods I've got going (andreettae X Jason Fischer) and (Fritz Schomburg X andreettae).

We made a few primaries using andreettae but they seem to be slow growers and very prone to rot once deflasked. The only one is growing like crazy is x pearcei.

You can sterilize them after deflasking, then try to grow in-organically. Maybe that's why Jerry Fischer uses rock-wool cubes and diatomite for Pk seedlings. ??

You can sterilize them after deflasking, then try to grow in-organically. Maybe that's why Jerry Fischer uses rock-wool cubes and diatomite for Pk seedlings. ??

Eric, you are right it could help but my main problem is that the thermal range day-night is very narrow here in Bucaramanga and this leads a lot of problems, phrags, specially Micropetalum need a bigger decrease in temperature during the night. I am moving to Bogotá so I think that most part of my Phrags are going to be much happier.

Latest posts

Back