Bletilla striata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Been away from the forum for a while now - too busy of late. I managed to piece together this video however about the various forms of the relatively easy to grow terrestrial orchid Bletilla striata. In there too is B. ochracea, the yellow flowered Chinese species, and the hybrid between the two plants, B. Brigantes. Speaking of China, I'll be leaving for Sichuan next week to see the botanical wonders of the mountains there - most especially the wild fields of Cypripedium species.

Bletilla striata

FourBletilla2.jpg

very nice particularly the hybrid. I only grow the B. ochracae.

Good luck with your trip I hope it is very successful

Hope you are breaking out a toothpick to them for me Tom :wink:

Brett

Hey Brett, sorry, ran out of toothpicks ;)

There's a lot of variation within this species to be sure and more avenues for breeding interesting clones. A few US nurseries carry some of the forms I showed in the vid - I know that both blue varieties have made it to the US, as have the white flowered plants, albostriata, and possibly trilips.

China will be an adventure to be sure. I've been scrambling to get all my equipment in order - both video and digital cameras and all the necessary support stuff. I'm ready to take thousands of pics and hours of vid!

Your only going to be there one day?
:poke:

Ha, ha! I've struggled to imagine how many pics and minutes of vid per day, believe me, until my head hurts. Card capacity, enough battery power, the availability of electricity.... AHHH!!!! :rollhappy:

So I settled on these numbers:

500 pics per day (actually not necessarily a lot)
1-2 hours of video per day

Hmm...

Latest posts

Back