Best of all worlds - recommended Paphs for beginners? (Esp mottled-leaved ones.)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Delilah

Hi

I'm new to Paphs - so new that I don't have one yet! I have several other orchid species...have killed a few, survived a few...so have a bit of experience and basic knowledge. Now I want to add a Paph or two...

Which types do you think offer the most to the beginner, meaning likely to survive, likely to flower, and pretty/striking? I am especially keen on the ones with very defined mottling on their leaves, which look beautiful even when not in flower.

My climate is warm-temperate. They will be grown indoors by an East-facing window with fly screen and other plants to create the appropriate amount of shade.

Glad your jumping in. (Slippers are more rewarding than milts.. Just kidding :))

Parvi:
delenatii
armeniacum

Barbata:
wardii
sukhakulii
acmodontum
venustum?

are the easiest!

I am kinda new to Paphs myself, but I can give you a few tips based on what I have seen in the past year. Any of the Green Maudiae type hybrids grow like weeds. I potted out a flask of Hilo Super Green x sib that almost seems to get bigger every day. Brachy hybrids have nice looking mottled leaves, but are slower and in my opinion a little more difficult to grow and flower.

some of the albums are easier to grow than their color counterparts..venustum, wardii, sukhakulii, delenatii and are pretty cheap nowadays

As a beginner, you are probably best to start off with any of the Maudiae type hybrids. They have beautifully mottled leaves and are very hardy. Ideal for growing inside the house. The Barbata species can be challenging even for the best of us.

If you are not only interested in species then I suggest any of the complex/bulldog hybrids. They tend to be tough. Also, species like insigne and spicerianum seem to tough it out and grow and flower well.

In my experience... I would avoid sukhakulii as "beginner plant". If you find a vigorous cultivar that´s fine, but most of them are a pain in the ass.

Maudiae type are usually very forgiving, but not always.

I think venustum or wardii could be a good choice (I find them easier than others Barbata that I have).

Regardless of the plant you choose: the bigger the better.

Good luck!!

As said, the "Maudiae" hybrids are the easiest paphs overall for an inexperienced grower. They are most tolerant of all conditions, and are relatively inexpensive, and most important, are readily replaceable. You WILL kill some paphs. No shame...we all did and still do. But you won't be heartbroken. They come in a full color range from green and white through increasing shades of brown, red, purple. If you can keep them cool in the winter, then you can try the "complex" paphs. Almost as easy as Maudiae's, but very boring out of bloom. The mottled leaf paphs in general, Maudiae, brachy, or parvi have so much variety that you can have 10 of the same cross, and foliage will vary among all. There are plenty of easy species, but they are more particular...and what's easy for 1 grower may be hard for another. Try the hybrids...after you feel OK with them, get back here, we can all come up with great, inexpensive, gorgeous species rec's to do just as well in your conditions.

Maudiae type are usually very forgiving, but not always.

I think venustum or wardii could be a good choice (I find them easier than others Barbata that I have).

Regardless of the plant you choose: the bigger the better.

Good luck!!

This.
BTW, Maudiae is a type of hybrid combining many hardy species, and they're usually not expensive. Bulldog/Complexes are hardy, big, and bloom for a long time but the foliage is usually green and without patterns.

Thanks everyone.

I'm finding it hard to be sure about which ones are 'Maudiae types', and which are something else. It doesn't always seem to be included in the name of the variety(?). What's the best way for me to get my head around this?

"Maudiae"types refers to hybrids in the group Barbata. These species include callosum, superbiens, lawrencianum, barbatum, and several others. All have mottled leaves.They are called "Maudiae" types because P. Maudiae (callosum x lawrencianum) is the typical hybrid from that group. While barbata species are considered easy, they are not anywhere near as easy as the hybrids. Typically "Maudiae" types have striped dorsals, usually large, and slender petals that may or may not have varying amounts of spots or warts. They grow fast, and are about the least expensive of paphs and are very commonly available.

I would suggest you join your local orchid society (if you have not done so already) Most growers will have a variety of Maudiae type hybrids, if not a Maudiae itself. They more often than not will be glad to sell you a division for small money. Then of course, the local show will always have plants available. Shows and local growers are always the best place to start (just don't get drawn into multis, they are spectacular, but are difficult and flower seldom)

I think you should look around what availabel fro a good price, and then look if you like the flower and try it.
I am always wondering why you all call delenatii so easy, as for beginners it could be terribel, at least mine are all different from my other paphs as theyn require even lower water to like it. So you can easy kill them as a beginner.

Maybe one of our members down there can sell you a beginner plant which could fit in your way of growing.

I recommend Paph. delenatii. It was my first paph and I find them very easy. The leaves are ( in my opinion) the prettiest. There is also 3 different color varieties- normal (pink), alba (white), and dunkel (purple).

Not sure if this is species only.

Paph. Pinocchio has been nearly flawless, for a lifetime beginner like myself.

Latest posts

Back