besseae pollen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrag guy

Reaction score
A while back in one of the threads,one of the members was talking about when they use besseae pollen. I was wondering if anyone knew which thread it was. They were talking about using it as soon as flower opens on itself I think.
Thanks
Russell

Thanks,but the thread was about using fresh pollen from besseae after it had been open for a day compared to been open for a few days.
Thanks
Russell

I'm sure phrag breeders have indicated, the best chance for a cross to take is by using the freshest pollen possible. I want to say that Tom Kalina told me he knows of some, that even before the flower is fully opened, they're taking the pollen that soon. Oh Tom ....... where are you?

Don't know if besseae will be dramatically different from other phrags, but in general phrag flowers don't last as long as paph flowers, so you don't have as much time to think about it.

The issue isn't so much the age of the pollen as the age of the flower being pollinated. In the thread that NYEric listed there is a post from Leo on how he used stored pollen to make crosses, so viable pollen can be months old, but you need to get it into a fairly fresh flower.

I spent allot of time getting pearcei pollinated. When my greenhouse was dryer (humidity <60%), I couldn't get a pod started no matter if I opened a bud just before it did it itself. Probably well over a dozen attempts. But after raising air humidity into the 70 and 80% range almost every attempt took even if I waited 5-7 days after the flower opened (about 6 attempts).

By the time I tried wallisii my humid air climate was well established, and I can self a mature flower, and the pollination will usually take.

Thanks guys, I have been using pollen that is a year old some times. The thread that I mentioned may have been at another site I was on.
It was very interesting.
Good luck with your crosses guys.
I have found that you need good stud plants to get nice growing flasks and plants

Latest posts

Back