Beginners Phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chippybug10

Hello,
I am interested in getting some advice on what people think would be an appropriate beginners phrag, not too fussy or difficult to bloom. I had a Fritz Schomburg, but a dastardly squirrel decided the leaves were for snacking, so I'd like to acquire something new to get some more experience with phrags. I really love the colorful phrags (not a fan of the green guys), so if anyone has some recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bahahahahahhah!
My recommendation for a red phrag would be either a Mem. Dick Clements or a Jason Fischer. Generally less expen$ive than a Pk hybrid too.

I'll 2nd Mem. Dick Clements! I've had trouble with Jason Fischer's, for me it's a no.
Eric Young is very reliable & should be reasonable in price.
Longueville (Hanne Popow x longifolium) is the only phrag that survived my greenhouse freeze of 2/07, so I'm calling that pretty darn hardy!

I've read that the likes of Sorcerer's Apprentice make good plants for beginners. They grow large though so not ideal if space is an issue.

JF is not exactly thriving for me either, kinda glad I'm not the only one because I can blame it on the plant now rather than my growing skills :p

I agree with Sorceror's Apprentice. It combines the most vigorous species in the genus- longifolium and sargentianum into an easy to grow and bloom plant.

Jason Fischer is easy if you understand how to grow besseae. The key is good quality water, intermediate conditions and careful fertilizing. Over several years they grow quite large and produce nice branching inflorescences over a long period of time.

Jason Fishers seem to rot for me.

...JF is not exactly thriving for me either, kinda glad I'm not the only one because I can blame it on the plant now rather than my growing skills :p

I agree with Sorceror's Apprentice. It combines the most vigorous species in the genus- longifolium and sargentianum into an easy to grow and bloom plant.

Jason Fischer is easy if you understand how to grow besseae. The key is good quality water, intermediate conditions and careful fertilizing. Over several years they grow quite large and produce nice branching inflorescences over a long period of time.

Interesting responses to JF, considering that a parent is MDC! I feel like Elena & I even tried an older more mature plant from a different source & it declined, struggled & I tossed it.

Will Sorcerer's Apprentice have the color? Chippybug says not a fan of green.

I feel I have good water quality, intermediate conditions & if anything under fertilize. I have one other bess X (Mirage) that struggles & my flavum. I have plenty of bess X's that do quite well - Apple Pie, Barbara LeAnn, China Dragon, Hanne Popow, Maria Glanz, MDC, Olaf Gruss, Rosy Charm x bess. & 2 Ruby Slippers flavum.
:( I'm not convinced that's the answer.

I have always liked Don Wimber, and it grows well for me. Do other people have problems with it? It has been around for a while, so I was surprised to see no one else bring that up. It should be relatively inexpensive since it is an older cross.

Eric Young and Don Wimber are good choices and a nice color ! No green in them . All of the Acker X's seem to grow well ,too. I personally think phrag hybrids are the easist orchids to grow & bloom !
Look at the pictures of phrags under the bloom pics. It will be hard to choose just one !!

It is impossible to choose just one Gilda!!! I guess I'm gonna have to get a couple :-D

It is impossible to choose just one Gilda!!! I guess I'm gonna have to get a couple :-D

Oh, how I understand that ! I have "several" :eek:! I went from being not a phrag fan(I didn't like the greeny brown ones either) to being a phrag lover !! Such pretty colors now and twisty long petals. I know you like phals(;) ) and some of these sequential blooming phrags last a long time , like phals !!

OK, I'll admit maybe Phrag. Eric Young and Twilight are easy to grow also. Hanne Popow is one of my favorites but they can be tricky about watering. Don't sleep on some of the green phrags too! :rolleyes: OK, Green Phrag Vendors Guild, where's my free Mem. Garren Weaver for that plug!?

Interesting responses to JF, considering that a parent is MDC! I feel like Elena & I even tried an older more mature plant from a different source & it declined, struggled & I tossed it.

Will Sorcerer's Apprentice have the color? Chippybug says not a fan of green.

I feel I have good water quality, intermediate conditions & if anything under fertilize. I have one other bess X (Mirage) that struggles & my flavum. I have plenty of bess X's that do quite well - Apple Pie, Barbara LeAnn, China Dragon, Hanne Popow, Maria Glanz, MDC, Olaf Gruss, Rosy Charm x bess. & 2 Ruby Slippers flavum.
:( I'm not convinced that's the answer.

Mine's grown intermediate (two abysmal summers in a row, it's definitely not suffering from heat :D) with decent quality water. I tend to be fairly generous with the fertilizer but I'm careful with the Phrag and the leaves on it are not browning so I don't think it's getting too much. It IS growing and it started a second growth this summer which seems to grow better but it's just not really thriving or flowering :confused:

My JF is the only Phrag I have, I bought it because I was under impression they weren't that difficult, plus my OH likes them. I was never quite sure if it was my conditions or this individual plant that was at fault. I'm not ready to give up yet but, man, it's one frustrating plant.

Eric Young and Don Wimber are good choices and a nice color ! No green in them . All of the Acker X's seem to grow well ,too. I personally think phrag hybrids are the easist orchids to grow & bloom !
Look at the pictures of phrags under the bloom pics. It will be hard to choose just one !!

Ain't that the truth! I got 15 different crosses from him last spring when he had his sale & they've all done well!

:D That's the spirit!!!

Hello,
I am interested in getting some advice on what people think would be an appropriate beginners phrag, not too fussy or difficult to bloom. I had a Fritz Schomburg, but a dastardly squirrel decided the leaves were for snacking, so I'd like to acquire something new to get some more experience with phrags. I really love the colorful phrags (not a fan of the green guys), so if anyone has some recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How about Sedenii or Cardinale? I really like the pastels. They've done well for me.

Most of the besseae hybrids will do well ...certainly Mem. Dick Clements, Eric Young, Don Wimber, Sgt. eric....and all are very similar, so for a beginner it doesn't really matter which one you get (I've reduced my collection...too repetitive..but I'm really more of a paph person...). However, you should get more than one, because, while most are easy, individual clones can be difficult...as you can see from the comments. Eric Young has been very easy for most of my clones, but I have one that will not bloom, barely even grows. I have a Rosalie Dixler (which is really the same as Mem. Dick Clements) which grows, but never, ever blooms...despite the fact that my MDC's all bloom easily. I think this one will be an experiment in Z7 winter hardiness this year...........Take care, Eric

Back