Be careful what you wish for...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

limuhead

A while back I posted a few pictures of my new greenhouse. I also posted some Phrags that my good friend Kai Quintal of Quintal Farms sent me when I merely mentioned that my conditions were great for Phrags. He sent me about 80 assorted phrag plugs, all top notch breeding including kovachii hybrids which I never even asked for, he just sent them and told me to expect a 'little' something in the mail. He called me the other day to say that if I was interested he had a 'few' Cymbidium plugs because he didn't have time to plant them out; too many things had took priority(paphs and phrags). I told him I didn't have any money, he said just pay for shipping and I could have them. A box arrived today, I WAS IN SHOCK. I put the plugs in 6 inch pots so I could pot them out over the next few days, well maybe the next few weeks...

About 1400 plugs, a dozen varieties, mostly proven hybrids, a few clones. I have some work to do. Kai is my hero, one of the best growers I have met, great sense of humor and you will never find a more generous person on the planet...

I have to build more benches just to accommodate all of them. Fortunately for me I can grow these in full sun in my yard. The scary thing is that I called my friend who gave them to me to thank him and he said let him know when these are potted up and he will send the other half; and he wasn't kidding...

Oh, one nice thing is these are bare rooted plugs, most of which are ready for 4 inch pots. I think I will pot them up in 2 inch to save space and next year destroy the cymbidium market here on Oahu.... :evil:

When those beauties bloom, you can open a Cym. market all your own!
I think they'd make an outstanding landscaping plant in your area. If I
remember correctly, you live at a higher elevation and can provide those
cool nights. I think I'd plant some out in your yard and make your neighbors drool. Word will get around.

Kai is my hero, one of the best growers I have met, great sense of humor and you will never find a more generous person on the planet...

Totally agree!
His hospitality is terrific. When my husband and I went to Hawaii last month, I called to see if we could come by. They said sure, and while his daughter took me thru some of the greenhouses, Kai took my Husband back to the house to enjoy a few snacks and beers. They treated us old friends. He has beautiful plants and I hope to visit there again.

Totally agree!
His hospitality is terrific. When my husband and I went to Hawaii last month, I called to see if we could come by. They said sure, and while his daughter took me thru some of the greenhouses, Kai took my Husband back to the house to enjoy a few snacks and beers. They treated us old friends. He has beautiful plants and I hope to visit there again.

Yeah, Kai is an exceptional person. I send him all of my best stuff. If I have something for breeding stock that is struggling I ship it to him, he gets it in top shape, sets a pod on it and then sends back a division. Kinda like orchid insurance. I have had my share of Green Bottles and Barbeques at 'Soot's Horney Bar', the covered BBQ area between the house and packing shed. I will call Kai tomorrow, he will be glad to hear you had a good time...
Fred

I need more friends like that :), what a generous person. Do you have any recent pics?

Latest posts

Back