Basket culture update 1 year 8 months later

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick, have you tried moss + polystyrene? though you need to water more (which could be a good thing)

The way to go to aerate a mix and prevent compaction is not polystyren at all, but use polyurethan soft foam ( like the thing used to fill the pillows...). In Europe it is very popular amongst pot plant growers under the name of Oxygrow or Aggrofoam, and very efficient. It retains some water too, but drains quickly, and prevents absolutely any compaction of the mix. I used it with peat based mix years ago...

I'm curious why you have not tried larger baskets? How are you going to treat the baskets you have now when the plants out grow the baskets?

How do you think paphs like armeniacum or godefroyae would grow in plain limestone? Maybe with a small top dressing of seedling bark.

I did use a mix of large versus small baskets earlier on, and a smaller proportion of the plants that went into large baskets are doing good too. It seems to revolve around the amount of salt retaining materials that go into the basket that make it work. If you put a small plant in a large basket then make sure that the basket is mostly filled with rock rather than moss.

I have a kolo seedling that went into a 4" basket, and now getting too big for that, so I slipped the 4" into a moss lined 6", and it seems to be moving roots into that space. Ultimately the wooden baskets will decompose enough to bust out sides for additional growths.

While were on the subject of moss. Sometimes it is hard to get it to get going in the first place, so you can take moss off another mount and try to transplant it to make it grow in another pot. Alternatively I was looking on the bonsai sites and they sell moss spores for bonsai culture. Bonsai always have such nice moss growing. You just sprinkle some on the media and it will start growing. It says it will keep good as long as you keep it in the envelope it comes in so you can store it. If anyone is interested.

The granite would probably be just as good.

The rain washes my driveway, so its good to go.

One thing about rock is that it is soooo heavy!!! When you start getting into 8" basket range, your looking at about 15 pounds or more of rock.

While were on the subject of moss. Sometimes it is hard to get it to get going in the first place, so you can take moss off another mount and try to transplant it to make it grow in another pot. Alternatively I was looking on the bonsai sites and they sell moss spores for bonsai culture. Bonsai always have such nice moss growing. You just sprinkle some on the media and it will start growing. It says it will keep good as long as you keep it in the envelope it comes in so you can store it. If anyone is interested.

Yep... I have also been looking at bonsai stores for spores. Once you get a good size population going in a greenhouse. It will start to multiply it's self fairly fast.

From my driveway:poke::poke:

Middle TN is nothing but a big limestone quarry. There's at least 2 within 10 miles of my house. Between the road beds, concrete manufacture, driving ways....its everywhere. I recently had a truckload dump a new load for my driveway, so when I need a handful for a few pots I just go out front and take it out of the driveway.

Soon your going have a muddy mess of a driveway:poke:

One thing about rock is that it is soooo heavy!!! When you start getting into 8" basket range, your looking at about 15 pounds or more of rock.

Yes put the baskets never tip over:wink:

If I end up hanging them, then I'll need to be concerned that the cross beams in the GH can handle the weight.:eek:

From my driveway:poke::poke:

Middle TN is nothing but a big limestone quarry. There's at least 2 within 10 miles of my house. Between the road beds, concrete manufacture, driving ways....its everywhere. I recently had a truckload dump a new load for my driveway, so when I need a handful for a few pots I just go out front and take it out of the driveway.
Interesting! I've seen crushed stones of that size, but not driveway gravel.

I tried a lot of things at first, but its coming closer to:

Moss lined followd by a mix of 75% large driveway limestone gravel, 20% more moss, 5% mix of sand and "Cichlid Sand". Live moss is great addition if you have it.

Many of the baskets with clay pellet or ball type media didn't work out too well. As it turned out the clay balls concentrate salts the way I water/feed.

I have a few baskets where I replaced some of the salty moss with bark or CHC mix, but I upped the amount of limestone gravel too.

Thanks for your suggestions Rick!

Yep... I have also been looking at bonsai stores for spores. Once you get a good size population going in a greenhouse. It will start to multiply it's self fairly fast.

Cheap and easy source of good fine moss. "Crack in the Sidewalk Moss". I know you are in a dry climate, but look for an area where there is a sidewalk that is always shaded, say north walk along a tall building. Glance down at the expansion joints, & the cracks. If there is an often watered patch of lawn near by, you might get lucky and find some. Here in the midwest it is everywhere. This is the most commonly used moss by bonsai people in the US. It becomes a thin mat once established in a pot. Tear up the harvested moss into little pieces, scatter over the surface you want to propagate it on, then cover with a thin layer of the same media, then water.

I keep a seedling flat growing nothing but 'sidewalk moss', it is planted with the fines from my bonsai soil. The entire flat becomes covered with moss, I am able to harvest part or all about every 2 months. If you take off a thin layer, the layer beneath does not have to be re-seeded, or re-colonized from the other side of the flat, the 'roots' (not botanically correct term for mosses) will form a new mat, the green visible in a week or less.

Just a thought.

Cheap and easy source of good fine moss. "Crack in the Sidewalk Moss". I know you are in a dry climate, but look for an area where there is a sidewalk that is always shaded, say north walk along a tall building. Glance down at the expansion joints, & the cracks. If there is an often watered patch of lawn near by, you might get lucky and find some. Here in the midwest it is everywhere. This is the most commonly used moss by bonsai people in the US. It becomes a thin mat once established in a pot. Tear up the harvested moss into little pieces, scatter over the surface you want to propagate it on, then cover with a thin layer of the same media, then water.

I keep a seedling flat growing nothing but 'sidewalk moss', it is planted with the fines from my bonsai soil. The entire flat becomes covered with moss, I am able to harvest part or all about every 2 months. If you take off a thin layer, the layer beneath does not have to be re-seeded, or re-colonized from the other side of the flat, the 'roots' (not botanically correct term for mosses) will form a new mat, the green visible in a week or less.

Just a thought.

That's great to know... And thanks for letting us know!

Some people make a moss shake, moss, yogurt and milk. then spread it all over where they want to grow it.

Very interesting information; thanks to all who contributed. I think that I am going to hang some Phrags in hydroponic baskets w/orchidata and #5 perlite mix. I have found that when the roots grow through the holes in the basket(on my cats and dens) it is easier to cut the basket and repot then to try to untangle them. I think sacrificing a basket that costs $1.50 is worth it considering what a good Phrag costs nowadays...
Mahalo!

Back