Barbigerum again !

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Damas

I cannot take credit for this one, as I bought it near from blooming. I specially like its shape an color, it's very pink. Compared to others barbigerum posted here these past few days, it is again something else; I think it is always interesting to see how the very same species can look so different frome one another :

2963018383_159b116c25.jpg

2963018077_1ec46c16d9.jpg

Great pic and beautiful colours and flower!!!!

(BTW Dama dama is the fallow deer...:D)

It's shape and colouration are really good. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

As said elsewhere - the flower looks like it has P. helenae in its genes - this does not by any means reduce the beauty of the flower though.

As said elsewhere - the flower looks like it has P. helenae in its genes - this does not by any means reduce the beauty of the flower though.
:clap:Did I miss something along the way? Were these previous threads?
Just curious - what makes you feel this plant has some helenae in it?

The shape and coloration of the lip as well as the coloration of the dorsal

Uri, the picture was taken right the morning it bloomed, I will take some new pics tomorrow as both flower and colors have evolved since.
To Goldenrose, I've also posted pics on a french orchids forum, Uri I think is making reference to this french board.

My first thought when looking at the lip was that it looked like helenae. I guess the two species resemble each other closely.

Some more pics. For me it is a barbigerum, but I can still be wrong. I have spent many time searching for barbigerum last night over the internet and found many pics that looked exactly like this one.
I have also searched for barbigerum x helenae and the result is far from my plant. To Uri, does it still makes you think of helenae ? Maybe it's chin is a little too rounded. The second flower can still be different.

2965640095_5d03cd4b4e.jpg

2965640355_c41878138b.jpg

2966488352_1346c0bd90.jpg

2966488608_d7b4942064.jpg

Thank you Rick ! No, I didn't and at this time, following Uri's comment, I am not even sure people will take it for a barbigerum. I am confused.

Until proven otherwise, it is barbigerum. look at villosum, a distant cousin, a large number of "varities" Nobody question that a villosum is a villosum. They just give them another varitial name. Personally, I don't see any helenae in this flower. If anything it may have another species in its distant background. It even takes a shinning to my thread, "Paph Tyke" which is a primary

The dorsal looks typical for barbigerum to me: that stance, the wide white rim and the mud colour in the centre. The pouch looks much like the vietnamese barb. var. coccineum (a.k.a. lockianum) colour-and shape-wise. That pouch is similar to helenae, indeed, but to me you have a very nice, colourful, straight barbigerum.

Best wishes, Carsten

Thank you very much to all of you, I feel much more confortable now and I am glad you like it too. I will post some pictures when the second flower will open to see the difference !

Latest posts

Back