Backup heating

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I think this is the right place for this?

Anyway, I am very interested to know what those of you whose main heat source is electric, as is mine (very small Paph house about 2 X 2 m - end section of bigger greenhouse), do for a backup in case of power outage. I was thinking a gas heater would be best, but which sort? Propane? Other? I know that Paphs hate ethylene, which is a risk with all gas heaters, no? I have a little ventilation in the house, a couple of air bricks around the base which would be very close to the heater. Are there other options?

I also liked the idea that a gas heater burning away at a low level might supply a bit of water vapour. Don't know of this would be a significant amount, but sounds neat!

Cheers,

Alex

"Ethylene gas is only a problem if the gas fired heater is not vented properly" and/or the burner is dirty or poorly tuned.

I had a heater failure a couple of years ago, and bought a non-vented propane heater as a stop-gap measure. It worked well, so I tried using it all last winter, and had no issues at all.

I use a non-vented propane heater (Coleman camping heater) without any problems.

I use "BlueFlame" propane heaters (available from HD or Lowes).

They have non-electric thermocouple temp control with full time pilot light. So you can leave them running without supervision, and they'll turn themselves "on" if temp drops below spec.

They are ventless, but rated for indoor (drafty) use. I have lost Catt and Phal buds after big outages when it ran as the only heat for a day or so. But I'd sacrifice buds for a total loss from freezing the whole collection:wink:

Otherwise need to start looking at some big self starting electrical generators. ($$$$$)

We've had so many electrical outages since we moved here in '99 that we decided to invest in a generator that would back up key appliances in our home, plus the greenhouse when we built it. It has paid for itself, as we've continued to have outages since its installation, including one last winter that lasted for us, 3 days. For others in town, up to 10 days! I'd encourage everyone with precious orchids to have a generator.

In my greenhouse, I have two heaters. They are both connected to electricity for starting up, but run on natural gas. The second is set to come on when it gets really cold, but I can turn it up manually as well.

I use a non-vented propane heater (Coleman camping heater) without any problems.

I use one of these to keep my well house from freezing up in the winter. They can make a lot of heat in a small space, but mine is pretty fumey compared to the bigger BlueFlames I use in the GH. Also the camping heater I have runs continuously at either a high or low setting, but not thermostatically controlled.

I'm investing in another generator. I have a 10,000 watt for the house,
but am buying a 15,000 watt for my greenhouse and my husband's
shop. The investment of 2,400.00 plus installation will ensure that we
never have another 8 day outage again. I use two 240 volt electric heaters
in my greenhouse for day time temps. and a back up for night temp. of
60F. After that 8 days outage, I believe in double backups!

Back