Articles Posted

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool.

I must say though, the transparency or color shifting of the web page is somewhat distracting when trying to read.

Very cool.

I must say though, the transparency or color shifting of the web page is somewhat distracting when trying to read.

I also had a hard time reading with the altering background distraction. But it sort of make the read on the kovachi hike feel like the difficulty they experienced! Kind of like the D Box seats at the theaters!

Agree about the colour shifting. This website is a perfect candidate for webpagesthatsuck.com

I'd like to read the articles - I hope that you can make them downloadable so that I don't have to deal with the background. You should also install Google Analytics and see how long visitors stay on each page, and on the website as a whole. I bet it's a rare person who stays longer than a minute.

Just make the text bigger and you don't see the changing background . A pity that there are no photographs of the in-situ plants, just descriptions.

Thanks very much for the articles, especially the one on pot plants. I have always been curious about how growers of Paphs for the pot plant market operate. I have a few questions, if you'll entertain them:

Who are the main customers of pot plant slipper orchids (i.e. who do the commercial growers sell to)? I have seen pot plant orchids (beyond phals) in hardware stores, garden centers, and upscale grocery stores. Is this where they're going? Or is it more like florists?

Do the commercial growers usually bloom out the plants before passing them on to their customers? If so, are they blooming them out to screen for the best ones?

Thanks!
--Stephen

Posted article comments

Thanks for the comments about the shifting background I will fix that ASAP. Also I will add images to the Paph. kovachii article. Stephen as far as who buys the "pot plants". The customers range from other commercial growers to flower shops, brokers who sell to the outlets you mentioned, Botanical Gardens, and hobbyist. The large commercial hybridizers do bloom out a segment of their plants to select for additional breeding stock (usually they keep only a small number) and to offer select plants to hobbyist. The vast majority go to the pot plant market. Thanks again for all the comments.

Secundino, I upgraded the Phrag. kovatchii article with pictures taken during that trip.

Just make the text bigger and you don't see the changing background . A pity that there are no photographs of the in-situ plants, just descriptions.

I added pictures to the Phrag. kovatchii article that were taken on the trip.

Back