Appreciate joining the Slippertalk Forum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
( little hijack here)Doreen what's your breed??? Two of my best friends are
dog show/orchid people and I don't see how they have time to do either
one. I'm just a hoarder in both categories...PBGV, two Shih Tzu and a
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy. (unhijack).

Mike, the really nice thing about Paphs., especially Brachy, is that the
foliage is beautiful all year round. The wonderful flowers are a bonus!

Certifiable!

Then you add in people who do crafting/needlework (guilty of that too), I should be committed somewhere!

There is a needlework saying that the person with the largest stash (supply of projects yet-to-be started) when they die wins.

( little hijack here) Two of my best friends are
dog show/orchid people and I don't see how they have time to do either
one. I'm just a hoarder in both categories...(unhijack).

Mike, the really nice thing about Paphs... is that the
foliage is beautiful all year round. The wonderful flowers are a bonus!

I am amazed at the number of dog people who are or were orchid growers also. We had our Shetland Sheepdog club's Christmas party over at our house last year, our new members were amazed at the three light stands in the den and orchids at every window. That's when a number of people went into their orchid-growing stories.

The tessallated foliage on some paphs I find very attractive also when the plant is not in bloom

...After growing for 19 years I've entered a phase where I'm not "smitten" by every pretty flower that comes along. I know that to grow well, you have to dedicate sufficient space and resources or you end up with a lot of plants that are half-assed versus a few that are well grown. So I'm still working on that balance along with having "something" in flower year-round otherwise the all look like a bunch of ugly green sticks for part of the year.... LOL Paphs may very well fill that gap....

I too am at that point in growing orchids. Also last year we started attending the AOS judging center near Salem, Oregon. Besides being exposed to numerous paphios that immediately joined my "want list", I now want to submit my better orchids for judging - eventually.

The half-assed versus well grown sentiment I agree with completely. At each blooming I now assess my orchids on how well they are growing, how well they are blooming - anything struggling in the growth or bloom department get shown the door. I find there is not a shortage of people who will accept a blooming orchid.

I know where you can get one! Piping Rock Orchids has sangii ('Piping Rock' AM/AOS x 'Haley Suzanne' AM/AOS), 3"-4". The sangii is a sib
cross of two awarded clones. Get out the ole credit card, my friend.
Piping Rock is gooooood people.

Welcome from South Africa. Part of the challenge in growing paphs is trying to figure out how to grow the hard-to-master plants, and remember there is always enough room to squeeze in another plant.:p

Back