forum and slipper newbie

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnathaniel

Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just joined up here to learn more about slippers and other orchids. I've been around orchids most of my life (Dad's a longtime addict himself), actively collecting and growing them for about 4 years, and just got a few slippers in the past year or so. My current list of slippers is:

-Phrag. besseae: maybe a wild-type/non line-bred one?, which suits me just fine
-Paph. delenatii: tiny seedling, not doing wonderfully
-Paph. armeniacum: small seedling, starting to grow well
-Paph. Fumi's Delight: ditto
-Paph. Mem. Larry Heuer: seedling, not doing much right now
-Paph. Magic Lantern: large seedling, about 4-5 growths, got it a few months ago at Parkside (they had some great stuff!)
-Paph. charlesworthii: nice multi-growth plant, got it for a song from a member on another forum reducing his collection; now putting out new growths and has also bloomed (I'll try to get some decent pictures to post)

Anyway, I'm enjoying this forum a lot, the participation and number of helpful informed opinions seem remarkably high. I look forward to learning a lot from you all!

--Nat

Welcome to the forum, good to see that I'm not the only one that has been indoctrinated by his parents. :p

Greetings from the netherlands.

welcome! my mother had tried to grow some of the seedling cattleyas from the sun bulb company years ago but they died. we had a houseplant encyclopedia that had lots of orchids in it, so that got me interested (father had plants outside, mother had houseplants inside)

Welcome from Luxembourg Nat!!!! A multi-growth charles sounds good; good luck with it, and we like to see those blooms :) !!! Jean

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone! I'll see if I can get a decent pic of the charlesworthii tonight, the previous ones came out funky (and I'm no great shakes as a photographer).

@ Marc and Charles, I think part of the reason I now enjoy orchids so much is that they remind me so strongly of childhood; walking into an orchid show (the smells, sights and sounds) can give me some serious positive memory/association flashback kind of stuff. Fun to chat with my Dad a lot, too, though the rest of the family groans whenever orchids come up, knowing that we may veer off into hours of conversation on things they care about very little. :p

--Nat

Welcome Nat.

And from Asheville too! One of my favorite places:clap:

Do you have dreadlocks???

I get out there periodically, so we'll have to visit some time.

Thanks everyone! Rick, the only dreadlocks I have are in a large cloth bag, severed from my head almost 7 years ago. They were about 3 feet long at that point. When we first moved to Asheville (about ten years ago) it was hard to get a lot of jobs with hair like that ('you gonna cut that off?' etc.). Now it's hard to get some jobs WITHOUT hair like that, go figure...

But yeah, come by sometime, there's great hiking around here in the summer and our local OS is a good bunch. Where in TN is Leiper's Fork, looks like near Nashville?

--Nat

Latest posts

Back