Anyone using LED lighting to supplement orchids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed few months ago 6x1000w full spectrum led lights to cover about 30sqm and I am VERY pleased. I grow only Phrags.
20160831_181320.jpg

What brand of lights are those and how high are they above the plants?

Lance, I am using the T8 leds white daylight spectrum for the flasks but for the plants I have never used them so I cannot compare. The ones I am using with plants are very commonly used to grow marijuana, I got them from ebay.

How high do you have the T8 LEDs above the flasks?
I want to use LED tubes above a 12" wide shelf at 12" height, will that be enough or too much light for plants invitro?

Great find Lance! (BTW when do you sleep, and how do you find this stuff!?!?!)

Thanks for sharing

How high do you have the T8 LEDs above the flasks?
I want to use LED tubes above a 12" wide shelf at 12" height, will that be enough or too much light for plants invitro?

In my setup the T8 Leds are 7" above the flasks; 4xT8 tubes each shelf of 12" x 30". For some species it is too much light so I switch off 2 of the tubes, but for most part of the crosses is OK.
Thanks for the paper, it is very interesting!

In my setup the T8 Leds are 7" above the flasks; 4xT8 tubes each shelf of 12" x 30". For some species it is too much light so I switch off 2 of the tubes, but for most part of the crosses is OK.
Thanks for the paper, it is very interesting!

So the space between the top of the flask and the tube is 7"?
So your shelf spacing is about 12"?
Do your flasks have a clear top or is some light blocked by the lids?

So the space between the top of the flask and the tube is 7"?
So your shelf spacing is about 12"?
Do your flasks have a clear top or is some light blocked by the lids?

Lance, yes shelf spacing is about 30cm that is roughly 12".

I do use White PP caps in glass jars but also clear PP plastic containers. if the seedlings start to burn because the high light levels I turn off 2 of the 4 tubes. I think that if you use clear plastic containers you would neen only two T8 tubes for each shelf.

Will take some pictures tonight.

Back