Anyone ever seen an in situ photo....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lars Pedersen

Has anyone ever seen an in situ photo of Mexipedium ?

I have not, but I would love to.

Christmas greetings from Denmark
Lars

Hi Lars,

I only now saw your message.
I remember having seen one in situ photo of Mxdm. xerophyticum ever, and that was quite some time ago. I can't remember where I saw it though at this moment. If I remember I'll contact you.

All the best,

Rob Zuiderwijk

Hello Rob

Good to hear from you :)

I hope all is well...

Will get back to you soon.

:)
Lars

That's a really strange story actually surrounding mexipedium. The original plants have been supposedly collected by scientists, yet they did not take any photo of the habitat.

I have seen a picture of a very tiny hill with a plant on it, and another 'close up' but those would not qualify for in-situ pictures, more maked up photos. I am sure that in the wild there should be colonies of few dozen or hundreds growths, looking at how fast it grows in cultivation...

Furthermore, the habitat is said to be 'secret', and the few informations gathered do not fit its way of growing - this species is definitely not exactly a complete xerophyte. There has been supposedly 7 different collected plants, some sources say 9, some others say only 2-3 clumps divided subsequently.

To my mind, owing to the interest in this species, if anyone knew exactly the source location, there would have been another paper showing in-situ pictures, or some studies of the populations, etc...

It is more than likely that, as for some other species here in Asia, some local or tribal people put those funny plants in a commercial collection, and when they were sold from market to market, the origin has been lost...

Also since Mexico is so close to the United States, in a way, it is hard to believe that we don't recall such photos. It must be located in some very remote areas I'd assume.

A Google Images search turned up a single "Mexipedium xerophyticum habitat" photo, but as was mentioned, who knows if it's real?

i'm fairly sure that one of the people who discovered/registered/published {what's the correct term?} the description is a member here....

i'm fairly sure that one of the people who discovered/registered/published {what's the correct term?} the description is a member here....
Vic Albert posts here. He's one of the systematists that erected Mexipedium and transferred Phragmipedium xerophyticum to it. I don't think any of the people that wrote the official description post here.

If there aren't any in-situ photos, is there a description of the habitat with a list and description of other plants growing along side it? This might help in the cultivation. I might already have the perfect conditions and not even know it!

....did you see this thread?
"Mexypedium Re-discovery (Habitat Pics)"
I am not sure how to do a hyper link, but you can do a search

Hi all;

Two plants were taken out in the early days, and both made their way to the US. The article on rediscovery says some 'afficionados' took a couple other plants out of Mex's habitat, but that only one is still known from it's original locality (a natural burn wiped most out). About a half dozen more clones were found in the new locality. I've seen only 'Windy Hill" and 'Oaxaca' and these are definitely different clones.

Yes, I did the DNA, and description, and this was in fact based on material donated by others -- never seen them in the field.

All best,

Vic Albert.

Latest posts

Back