Anyone else early?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've talked with folks from my OS and they agree, things are happening early around here. For example:

1. 2 Paph. malipoense plants are in advanced spike and will bloom December or early January. Normally they bloom for me in March.

2. Many of my complex Paphs are spiking and will bloom early when, there again, they usually bloom Feb. or March for us.

3. Other oddball- my Paph. concolor bloomed this summer, as usual, but now is going back into spike.

Not trying to speculate on reasons, but would welcome that discussion, but more trying to see who else is having out-of-the-norm behavior.

Hmmm ... how about a stonei in spike now is it that early or late? :p This is the 2nd blooming but I wanna say it was Feb-Mar on it's 1st blooming.
My Angcm. Crestwood 'Tomorrow Star' has 4 spikes this year that are progressing quite rapidly. :drool::drool:
I would guess if some orchids liked the hot summer, they got a kick start this year! Right now we're having Indian summer, 80 yesterday, 75 today and I have a handful of plants to repot & I'll be done with the whole GH!

I have a Paph. Magical Venus that I got last December and they said it bloomed only once a year for them. It bloomed in January and now it is opening a bud and making 2 new growths.

I have a malipoense in pretty advanced spike too, but otherwise it seems like a few of my other species are running a bit behind.

I'm just finding everything is off schedule, early, late...everything in between!
I did get my plants outside a full two weeks earlier then normal, so that certainly may have effected them. Otherwise its been a pretty usual Southern Ontario summer -hot, humid, dry...it always varies a little.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Yep, some stuff seems early here - the ones I know for sure are henryanums and barbigerums, since I brought them to judging last year I know they're about a month early this year! Not sure why - I just blame it on the weather, even though I'm indoors that affects how often/how long the AC is running when it's hot, or when the heat starts kicking on, so that changes temp/humidity patterns.

Latest posts

Back