Another White Complex

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chien

Reaction score
DSCN6416.jpg

DSCN6400.jpg

niveum x (Over the Mountain x Over the Meadow)
I brought it home while it was in bud. Although it has a dent in its pouch, I still like it!:)

I wouldn't be surprised if that dent came from it being moved around while developing...I'll be its next bloom will be fine...and it should be something to look forward to! Eric

That tall stem is something that other complex flowers need to strive for. I'll just bet that the small amount of green is now pure white. Am I correct? Thanks for sharing.
Hi Bob, the first picture was taken yesterday, it is more white than last week, but still has green in it. Maybe it will take more time to turn pure white.

Apart from the dent, this flower begs the question why niveum isn't used more in breeding. Magic flower.
Another popular niveum x complex here is Paph. Formosa Lily.
http://www.google.com.tw/search?ndsp=20&hl=zh-TW&q=paph.+Formosa+Lily&start=0&sa=N
Paph. Formosa Lily is also a goog cross, but many of it have long and narrow pouch, the size is not large, and shapes are sometimes not so round. Maybe that's why.

Chien, the size factor I understand but I can't see what all the fuss over size is in a Paph flower, particularly when breeding is being done to reduce the plant and flower size now ie henryanum, helenae, barbigerum etc. The length of the pouch can be easily overcome by choice of parents, either the niveum or the other parent. Most good niveums have nicely rounded pouches and there is a vast amount of other plants with good pouches to be used. Not to say some won't have a long pouch but no cross is perfect.

Back