Another one of Nick Tannacis paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
The X is (Dom's Legend 'Cherry x S. Gratrix 'Grande'
Good shape , small stem, huge bloom that rests on the pot edge !
P1000312.jpg

Interesting...and weird!!! Almost triangular shape!!! Nice!!! Cool long pouch!!

What's weird about this? I love those spots! Is S. Gratrix generally a good parent, does anyone know? I've got a couple seedlings with it as a parent (but crossed with Parvis). I can only hope I get some spotting like this!

Cool Gilda - I love brachys so its always nice to see another one.
Shakkai - S. Gratrix is a very good breeder with other brachys or brachy hybrids. As is typical of most paph types though (brachy, complex, multis, parvis) the breeding potential drops quite a bit if you breed between groups. That being said, when a cross does take, some of the coolest and most novel flowers are produced - the Rolfei types, etc. An example I believe you saw recently was my Color My World 'Shocker' flower (S. Gratrix x Winston Churchill) Anyway, if you have a good S. Gratrix, by all means use it...it has produced some wonderful crosses and will produce many more.

Hi All

I checked on the Royal Orchids Society databases and Color My World is Greyi x Winston Churchill not Saint Gratrix x Winston Churchill. I hope ith helps.:wink:

Thanks for that! Yes, I loved your CMW. So, I guess, like in most things when you increase risk, you can increase reward. By taking a chance breeding outside of the Brachy group, it seems that you can get some really nice things. But I'm also aware that the potential for deformed or crippled flowers increases. It is something to think about!

Hi All

I checked on the Royal Orchids Society databases and Color My World is Greyi x Winston Churchill not Saint Gratrix x Winston Churchill. I hope ith helps.:wink:

Yes, just check Orchid Wiz. So its niveum in Color My World, not bellatulum.

Niveum leads to what? Smaller flowers? It is the spotting/pattern effect that I like the most on this one (and the Color My World). I probably prefer the shape on the Color My World, but I assume that has more to do with Winston Churchill than with the Brachy parent.

picture

Are you kidding me - you guys produce the most from your crosses -grown our bought - what a great example -john

Latest posts

Back